Cannister Filter Media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joplin

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2019
I'm in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon tank and will be using a canister filter. This will be my first cannister filter and I'm not sure what to add as media. I have 3 trays and plan to use some of the white ceramic ring looking things (not sure what they are called) and lava rock. That gives me 1 tray left, I'd like something that will be more on the mechanical filter side of things for water clarity since the lava rock and ceramic rings are handlining the biological side. Am I on the right track?

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I'm in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon tank and will be using a canister filter. This will be my first cannister filter and I'm not sure what to add as media. I have 3 trays and plan to use some of the white ceramic ring looking things (not sure what they are called) and lava rock. That gives me 1 tray left, I'd like something that will be more on the mechanical filter side of things for water clarity since the lava rock and ceramic rings are handlining the biological side. Am I on the right track?
I would use floss and black sponge for mechanical, just make sure the water enters the black sponge before the floss

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't think there's any right or wrong media to use or method of staging it. I don't care for heavy amounts of floss because it tends to plug up the fastest and hinder flow.

The setup I think I like the best in canisters is nothing more than coarse sponge in each tray.

Reactions: FishAddict74

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would go with coarse & finer sponges before the ceramics & lava rock (I haven't used lava rock). I don't like floss or very fine media in canisters, like Joel said, they clog fast & canisters are a PITA to clean. You don't want to have to do that too often.

I like 2 filters on most tanks 20g+. Another option is to have a prefilter sponge on the filter intake. It will catch some larger debris & will keep it out of your canister. You will however, need to clean it (rinse & squeeze it in running tap water) every 2-4 weeks (or as needed) depending on how fast it gets gunked up & flow slows. That will depend on fish waste & plant detritus but it's much fast than tearing down & cleaning a canister...I'm lazy & want minimal upkeep.

What fish & plants (?) are you planning? 75g is my favorite tank size!

If you can post pics we'd love to see

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
They’re right and I forgot to mention, if you use floss you have to clean the canister very frequently or it will clog. I like it because it puts a nice polish on the water but i also clean my canister weekly.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Wow, FA74, weekly!?! That's a whole lotta filter cleaning, HOB or canister. Good for you! Like I said, I'm lazy...
Haha ya it keeps me busy I only do it that often on my 120 because of having very messy predators, they eat raw shrimp, tilapia, silversides etc..I run the canister and 3 AC70s and do 50% WC 3x a week and clean the filters once a week, my nitrates get up to 20ppm in 3 days if I don’t, getting a python water changer made my life easier tho

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Whee, that's a lot of filter cleaning...all of them every week FA? Whoosh, it's making me tired, lol. You might get to the point you can clean 1 filter every week...or maybe 1 or 2 a week? Crap, man, too much maintence for me :D but whatever works for your tank & you :cool: It's very good you keep nitrate under 20ppm, your fish will be happier with that...

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Whee, that's a lot of filter cleaning...all of them every week FA? Whoosh, it's making me tired, lol. You might get to the point you can clean 1 filter every week...or maybe 1 or 2 a week? Crap, man, too much maintence for me :D but whatever works for your tank & you :cool: It's very good you keep nitrate under 20ppm, your fish will be happier with that...
I changed my stock a little bit and replaced my Oscar and pike cichlid with the less messy barracudas so hopefully I can cut back, I test nitrates before i do maintenance, so I’ll see, I have 5 other tanks too, some day I’d like to have all my tanks plumbed so i can turn a valve to do WCs, but ya it’s a lot of work lol but rewarding too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store