Can't find API general cure anywhere?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not sure if this is the result of the 'rona or not, but I can't find it anywhere these days. I guess I could google 250mg metronidazole and 75mg praziquantel..

I'm not an aquaria meds expert, nor do I use them often, but I've had good luck with this product the one time I used it in the past 9yrs or so.

My issue is as follows.. Sorry it's a bit much..

I suspect issues in a 55g tank I setup back in January 2021 w/ substrate, media. plants and hardscape out of a long established and unchanged 29g I took down.

Over time I lost 2 of the 3 of my weather loaches, 14 of 20 of my green and albino aeneus corys and a few green barbs. My gold barbs are thriving, but the green barbs have grown very little since February. Almost no growth and 2-3 have died. One BN pleco is doing well as are a few guppies.

The dojos and all the barbs were mail ordered from the same place and added within days of each other. The 20 corys were from a LFS and QT'd for 4 weeks and thrived in the bare bottom 10g QT.

Tank runs at room temp that can vary from ~70-80degF. Tank is loaded with anubia, java fern, java moss and a sword. 50%+ WWC.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It might be due to the 'rona, everything seems backed up. Check out API's website, where to buy by zip code and see if it helps.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Have you checked local chain & local non-chains stores? I didn't see them on a big online search either...But it seems like 1 of the 'co, 'smart carry API products...or used to, might be old, check the dates...Yeah, I'd blame covid as well...my appliance needs are not available either but I did get the dishwasher I wanted...after a few searches but then I found it locally! Keep looking...

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think that MARS/API reduced production of pet medication at any point because of Covid.

There was a significant increase in people last year buying new aquariums, but I doubt that would really affect it either.

And I don't think that anyone has been hoarding either.

?

I think that there was going to be an issue (or was) with certain pet/fish medications becoming illegal.. so this may come under that.

But I would say that calling LFS stores would be your best option. They generally have it in stock longer because of prices being higher.

Otherwise maybe call the API support number, they will likely be able to give you the best options.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Hard to find these days. I found it on Amazon, but the price is nuts- $29.56 for the 10 packet size. At least the delivery is free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R5M7V6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3FVD7GWGHFGT8&psc=1

Any other site API suggested is Out of Stock.

Tetra Parasite Guard: Active Ingredients: Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin.

General Parasite “Quick” Cure (Metronidazole, Praziquantel)
General Parasite Cure is a blend of pure metronidazole and pure praziquantel.

Treatment: Begin with a 25% water change prior to each daily dose of 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons water. Continue treatment for 10 days. It is recommended to repeat treatment in 3 weeks to eradicate newly hatched parasites.

May be used concurrently with Epsom Salt and/or elevated heat (above 86F/30C) to clear out the gut more efficiently. 25 gram jar treats approximately 350 gallons.

https://www.discus.com/product/general-parasite-quick-cure/

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
None of my LFSs have it, nor do the chain places. Amazon is currently out of stock. About a month back I found a seller on eBay that had 2 boxes for under $30 shipped. I bought that and it sat in "shipping" status for 17 days. I contacted the seller inquiring about it and w/out even a real response, they just refunded my money.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
TTA, thanks for that discus.com link. I ordered a 50g container for $35 shipped. I'll post back if it actually ships.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Glad it worked out. When I made that post Amazon still had some available, I checked for that.

I actually have both of those meds (Metro & Prazi) in my medical box.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Glad it worked out. When I made that post Amazon still had some available, I checked for that.

I actually have both of those meds (Metro & Prazi) in my medical box.
That's TTA, but I'm not out of the water yet (so to speak).

That meds I ordered above haven't been charged to my credit card yet.

As mentioned above, I fear something legislative is going on prohibiting the sale of these meds. Hopefully it's just the effects of COVID19, but I dunno..

I'm not even quite sure these meds are what I need for the tank in question. They're just my normal go-to that have worked wonders for me in the past.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Fyi: discus.com is not the most reliable site. There are some really fantastic sites that deal with discus and others that are well....said to be less reliable. I realize you are not buying discus but ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store