Can't Keep fish in new tank alive for 2 weeks-water was tested fine-over two months!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fuadramsey

AC Members
Aug 15, 2011
I don't want to give up, but this will be my 4th attempt!

Short Story: fish die in tank within two weeks. Tank has been cycled for two months. Water tests fine at the pet store.

Long story: got a used tank, rinsed is out really well, same with the used filter (Aquaclear 20), and heater. Purchased new filter media and put in new gravel that I rinsed really well, and some used artificial plants (rinsed really well). Also put in a piece of aquarium wood purchased from a big box retail pet store (probably mopani).

As for the wood, I soaked it for 2 weeks, and then I boiled it for 4 hours before I put it in the aquarium. This was to reduce the tanins.

Here's how I "started" the tank: I filled the tank with conditioned tap water. Ran the filter and heater for two weeks. Added some water (maybe 1/2 cup) from my 2 gallon betta tank in order to add some ammonia. Did this for about 4 days. (yeah I know now that this was not the best way).

The fish:

first, 3 Neon Tetras (not the best choice) they died:cry:in about 3-4 days later.

Had the water tested and they said it should have been okay (skeptical on the person doing the tests).

got a black Molly, he died :cry:13 days later. He never behaved normal. He was always at the top of the tank shaking his head back and forth. Water tested perfect from the pet store. The guy who did this test seemed to know his stuff.

Got a silver Molly. 8 days later she had 11 babies. Went and purchased more artifical cover for the babies. Two died :cry:within a day. Then 4 days later they all disappeared:cry:.I thought the molly ate them all, but I eventually found at least 5 bodies. I then found two at the in the bottom of the filter (they got sucked up). They died :cry: later that night. A few days later the silver Molly died:cry:. Water tested perfect again at the pet store.

Got a delta tail Betta. He was doing great, but after 4 days he's slowed his swimming down and seems to be sleeping a lot in the tank. Most of the time now he's wedging himself in between the wood in the tank. I moved him into a small betta bowl (used dechlorinated water and made sure the water was close in temperature).

Here are the steps I have taken:
replace 20% of the water weekly with dechlorinated water (either let the water sit for 4 days or use a declorinator). Also vacume the waste on the gravel.

I'm wondering if the temperature is too high?: 80 on the cheap film/strip type gauge, 82-83 with a submersed guage. -I just ordered a better heater and will set to 78 degrees.

I'm also suspecting the mopani store purchased wood? Maybe it's leaking some toxin into the water.

Other than that maybe it's the quality of fish purchased at Petco?

Please help with any suggestions!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
In my opinion the temp is pretty high for most of those fish except for the betta. Also I am pretty much guessing that you have some kind of water parameter problems, probably the tank is not cycled yet. I would get a test kit and test the water myself. Plus it is kinda fun to test the water and actually see what your chemistry is doing. This is the link for a sticky on how to cycle your tank without fish. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...8-Freshwater-cycling&highlight=fishless+cycle
I always use fish when I cycle my tanks so I can't talk you through a fishless cycle. Sorry.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'm dubious as to whether your tank is fully cycled.

First, I'd buy a Freshwater Master test kit, read ALL of the directions and start performing your own tests.

Second, before you buy any more fish, check to see if the tank is cycled. Do this by purchasing some non-detergent ammonia and add said ammonia a little at a time until it tests for 2 ppm. Test for ammonia the next day and the next. If the tank is cycled, 2 ppm should be gone in two days, depending on size of the biofilter. If it isn't cycled you'll continue to read ammonia after a couple days. If this is the case, your tank is still cycling.

Get a spiral notebook and log in your daily tests to keep track of your cycle. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Keep adding ammonia, daily if needed, to keep it in the 2-3ppm range. Usually within a couple weeks you'll see the cycle progressing with a fall in ammonia and concomitant rise in nitrite. Within days this is typically followed by a fall in nitrite and a rise in nitrate.

When you can add ammonia up to 2 ppm and ammonia and nitrite test zero after 24 hrs your tank is cycled.

edit: I was posting when Jacki did. Glad that great minds think alike. LOL

Mark

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would say it isn't cycled as well. The amount of ammonia you added was pretty minimal and I doubt you went through the whole process THAT quickly. Running a filter for a couple weeks wont get a cycle started either.

Please read this: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598-Freshwater-cycling

My guess is the fish died from water quality issues. I suggest getting your own test kit, liquid preferably.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I agree, my suspicions are that your tank isn't fully cycled and investing in a liquid test kit would be a great first step. Also, about the fish you've listed, neons are sometimes known to be "fragile" depending on the batch and I've found mollies to almost always be riddled with disease when bought from the big chain stores like petco and petsmart (just my own experience). Also, what size tank is it?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
You said that you let the water sit for 4 days or use a water conditioner. Most tap contains chloramines that will not gas-off. You should us a conditioner for every water change.

kgymn

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Ditto to what the others have said.

Also I wanted to point out that if you think the water is too warm, adding a heater set to 78 will not help, unless you already have a heater in it and are replacing with a more sensitive one. If your ambient temperature in the tank is over 80* no heater will be able to cool the water off.

I'd go so far as to say that the way you attempted to add ammonia added really only a negligible amount. So I don't think the tank is cycled at all.

~Katy

fuadramsey

AC Members
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks everybody.

My tank is a 10 gallon. I've read all about cycling a tank, but I guess it's time to get really scientific and chart it all out and do the right tests myself.

Regarding the heater, the new one will be more sensitive. I unplugged the other heater (no fish in there now) and the temperature did drop to 76 degrees, even though I had the gauge set at its lowest.

I WILL get the Freshwater Master test kit and ammonia and do the tests.

Question:
Should I start all over with the tank? Do a fishless cycle: Rinse all media, remove the Mopani wood, add new dechlorinated water, or just continue with what I got: do the ammonia test with the liquid tests? I'm just feeling cursed or that there's a contaminant in there.

FINJOY

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
ARE YOU SURE THAT THE TANK WAS ONLY USED FOR FISH. IF BY CHANCE IT WAS USED TO PLACE ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL THE WASTE FROM AN ANIMAL IS EXTREMELY HARD TO COMPLETELY GET RID OF IT, AND CAN TO BE TOXIC TO FISH... JUST A THOUGHT.... GOOD LUCK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store