Carbon Filter Fact/Fiction Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joylynn

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Thornton, CO
I have recently had to remove the carbon from all my filters to medicate my tank and have replaced it wil rocks that allow more of the bio-filter to grow. I have both a Magnum 350 Canister filter and an Emperor 280 HOB on my 75G. I am trying to figure out how to best go about filtering once the medication cycle is done (I know I am going to run carbon for about a week to remove the meds). I have found there is a lot of different information out there about carbon and wanted to get soem opinions ont he bleow statements, whether they are fact or fiction?

1. Carbon is not needed for filtration but is usually added to reduce odor.

2. Carbon loses it's potency after a few days and needs to be changed out regularly.

Last one is really a question, if I decide to stick witht he rocks that grow the bio-filter on them, is there any reason not to just pour them in the holding area of my HOB filter behind the sponge piece of filter? Do I need them in a bag or anything?

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
carbon is very effective for the removal of dissolved organic compounds (hormones, pheremones, amino acids, proteins, lipids....) that are a byproduct of keeping fish in water. These will become harmful to your fish if allowed to accumulate unchecked. They need to be exported from the tank. Carbon is one method to achieve that goal. If you perform weekly, large volume water changes, however, the same objective will be realized. and, if you do the large volume, weekly water changes you will have no real problem with color.

So, the first part of the answer is mno need for carbon.

Do you need to replace caron routinely and frequently--absolutley. if you buy something like Black Diamond you will be utilizing a higher grade GAC so the need to replace as frequently is not as pressing. You do need a large amount of it in the filter to really do a lot of good.

My first tank was in the late 60's. I have kept fish for decades. I stopped using carbon as a standard filter media in the mid 70's. You can usually place carbon in a filter to remove meds for jsut 24-48 hours--along with a large volume water change.

hermitcrabcrap

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
As far as carbon lasting only a few days, I have never heard that it loses it's effectiveness that quick. There are special types of carbon that remove ammonia and other nitrogen compounds, so if you have that type it's quite obvious what it does. Because mechanical filters remove wastes from the water column, wastes lying on the bottom of the tank will not be removed. So activated carbon helps process the wastes that remain in the aquarium, chemical filtration removes or breaks down the dissolved materials that decaying wastes produce. Carbon also helps the aquarium look crystal clear because it removes tannins in the water.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
I have always heard (and know from personal experience) that carbon will lose effectiveness rather quickly. I use Black Diamond on occassion when my tank reeks of algae from the sinking wafers I add, but the smell always comes back after I throw more in a few days later. As far as whatever stone you are talking about that grows bacteria better, if it is more expensive, just use your carbon and don't replace it. You can even keep it in some kind of mesh bag or whatever else you can get and have a matured pack to use for biological filtration, and then just put that somewhere else in the tank while you have fresh carbon in there to remove an odor or medication.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
there are a variety of pollutants dissolved in any aquatic environment containing biological life. dissolved ORGANIC compounds (DOC's) include proteins, amino acids, phenolic compounds, pheromones and other metabolic byproducts which are continuously being exhausted into the aquarium water by the fish or other aquatic animals. if these organic substances are allowed to become concentrated, they will negatively impact fish feeding rates, growth rates and reproduction rates, they will lower immune system activity and promote blooms of pathogenic bacteria in the water.

these DOC's can be controlled by water changes, however a pretty rigorous maintainance schedule is required. i recommend maintaining your nitrate levels at less than 10 ppm (the less the better) since doing so will concurrently facilitate a low level of DOC's, something which you cannot test for. THE PROBLEM is that a great many aquarists don't adhere to such a maintenance schedule and don't test for nitrates.

if you are not managing your nitrates and thus your DOC levels, chemical filtration is perhaps the best method for you. carbon filtering removes DOC's via adsorption. as the aquarium water flows through the carbon medium, the Dissolved Organic Compounds come into contact with the surfaces of the carbon granules where they become attached. this is ADsorption --- not ABsorption. some DOC's are adsorbed directly, whereas others combine chemically with already-captured substances. when the surfaces of the carbon become saturated, it stops working and needs to be replaced with new carbon.

one needs to recognize that there are many types of carbon sold for aquarium use but VERY FEW of these are actually capable of adsorption in water. only HIGH QUALITY ACTIVATED GRANULAR carbon which has been degassed in an oxygen oven at temperatures close to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit is functional --- anything else is worthless. i can recommend Marineland activated granular carbon in this regard though there may be others. degassing enlarges the apparent surface area of each carbon granule, thus greatly increasing the adsorptive capacity.

look for activated carbon which is phosphate free. a great many carbon grades are washed with phosphoric acid in an effort to support the adsorption sites since this is cheaper than degassing. this phosphate will leach into your aquarium water and can reult in a major algae problem.

deep beds of Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) are always more effective than shallow ones of equal area. also, for a given amount of GAC the smaller the granules, the greater the adsorptive capacity. generally, there needs to be 4 to 10 grams of GAC for every gallon of water depending on stocking density. such carbon beds typically last only a month at best and more typically 2-3 weeks since most hobbyists tanks are overstocked.

if your filter uses prepackaged cartridges containing carbon, realize that these cartridges typically contain poor quality carbon and if quality carbon is used, only 20 percent or less of the recommended amounts of GAC is present. you can slit open the cartridge and fill them with more GAC but many pad filter types simply will not hold that much. thus, the carbon in the vast majority of filter pads on the market simply are not functioning. therefor why pay for it.

in a filter, the GAC should always be placed after the mechanical filtering medium otherwise, the particulates in the water will quickly coat the surfaces of the GAC, rendering it useless.

so what's the bottom line? if you're going to use activated carbon, you've got to use QUALITY material, you've got use ENOUGH of it to work and you've got to CHANGE IT often enough to keep it functional. a weekly water change schedule taylored to your bioload will work equally well however and is certainly less expensive.

Mantas

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
That was a great explanation of the benefits/drawbacks of carbon. The only thing I might add is that if you leave GAC in place too long it can begin to de-sorb. In essence it has the potential to return adsorbed organics back to the tank.

tbredfilly

Registered Member
Jul 22, 2006
TFH had an excellent article explaining the pros and cons of carbon. I believe it was August's issue and you may be able to find it at a local commercial pet store with the initials PS.

Last edited:

joylynn

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Thornton, CO
Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like my best course of action is to use high quality carbon for 2 days or so to remove the meds when I am done with the current dosing, then just rely on my water changes to save money. My tanks almost always stay at less than 10 ppm of Nitrate and I do 50% water changes at least once a week. So I will save the money for now - that will make the hubby happy :)

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
That was a great explanation of the benefits/drawbacks of carbon. The only thing I might add is that if you leave GAC in place too long it can begin to de-sorb. In essence it has the potential to return adsorbed organics back to the tank.
This is ac`tually one of the Carbon myths that exist in the hobby. Adsorbed compounds will remain adsorbed. The only possible way that anything vcould be released back in under tank conditions is if the Carbon actually eroded away enough to also allow some adsorbed compund to be released as well. This is unlikely, and certainly would not do so in noticeable quantities in any short amount of time.

In order to remove the materials from carbon a combination of heat (Superheat might be a better term) and controlled O2 levels are needed. This can only be accomlished in a furnace desigend for that purpose.

Dave

Mantas

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
I beg to differ on that point...I have worked in a groundwater remediation plant that treats 2 MGD (million gallons/day)for more than 10 years, I and I have personally seen GAC desorb organic compounds into an effluent stream, and I've seen it happen multiple times, I also conducted a pilot program where a mixed media filter with carbon as the final polishing media desorbed volatilte organics...the common factor in all of these cases was carbon that had been used beyond it's service life...I have the GC/MS reports to prove it...these cases, although rare, are common enough for it to be a concern...it also happens with vapor phase carbon....we regenerate our own carbon (vapor phase) on site and the process involves reversing the airflow through the carbon bed while heating the air, the carbon is heated to 240 degrees farenheit while the reversed airflow is used as combustion air in the furnace which burns the organics at 1650 degrees. The bed temperature is maintained at 240 degrees for the entire regen cycle (12-18 hours) depending on organic load (determined by GC/MS Analysis). The bed is then place in a cool down phase and then placed in service while the opposite bed is then regened...each bed is 4000 pounds and is changed once per year, output air and water quality are monitored via/ grab and comp samples that are analyzed for organics daily...our liquid phase units are tanks(4) in series (2)that each contain 18,000 pounds of GAC that is used for final effluent polishing...so the water stream at 1400 gallons per minute flows through 36,000 pounds of carbon prior to leaving the plant...the carbon is changed twice a year and is backwashed "fluffed up" once per shift (every 8 hours)...also according to my chemist at the lab where I work, carbon is carbon, period, however there is a difference between virgin and regenerated carbon, vigin carbon being better suited for aquarium use for obvious reasons...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store