Carbon help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Introduce in what sense? and what do you intend to do with it?

I generally don't use carbon unless to remove medication from the water, but for chemical filtration I'd just put it in the filter every week or so, or consider using something like Purigen instead.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
similar sort of way, you just put it in the path of the water.. and it'll remove chemicals.

For clearing the water, it depends on why the color.. if it's particles in the water, finer filter media would help more,. if it's bacteria, then time is normally best, if algae lowering the light level of photo period would work.

If you want to use carbon, it won't hurt anything, unless you are adding chemicals for some reason... Just add it and see what happens, remember that it won't be useful after about a week, maybe 2.

Reactions: Joannestech92

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My pleasure,

The big difference between purigen adn carbon is that purigen mostly works on organizs, and for longer... and can be refreshed and reused rather than just replaced.

Reactions: Joannestech92

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It will be useful regardless of the time before it is chemically expended as a BB media. Purigen is a great option, but IME it doesn't remove discoloration or odors as quickly (if you have those issues) as pure activated carbon does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store