CaribSea Flora Max vs. Eco-Complete

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
What's the difference between these two? Both of these are made by CaribSea and are called 'Planted Aquarium Substrate.'

Their description for Eco-Complete is considerably longer vs. Flora Max.

Eco-Complete is described as eliminating the need for laterite supplement while Flora Max is described as reducing the need for laterite.

Eco-Complete is described as rich volcanic soil containing many micronutrients as well as being 'live' helping to convert fish waste into plant food, as well as 'Now Containing Floraspore.' Flora Max lacks any such descriptions.

Sounds like I need to go with the Eco-Complete?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I use both substrates. The eco-complete has the big advantage of not having to be rinsed. Just pour it straight into the tank and you are ready to go.
Flora Max needs extensive rinsing and will probably cloud the water anyway unless you are very carefull.

Eco is much finer grained than the coarse flora max, so it's better for bottom dwelling fish that like to dig around the substrate. The heavier flora max is easier to gravel vac without making a mess, and plants, once established are less likely to get uprooted.
I don't know about the exact composition of the two substrates but both have done a good job of growing plants for several years now in my two main tanks.
Overall I prefer the eco for it's ease of use and attractive dark color.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You don't indicate what sort of planted tank you intend, but many of these so-called "enriched substrates" are a waste of money. And they are expensive. While I have not used either of these products, I have used Flourite which most sources say is pretty much the same thing as Eco-Complete. After two years I tore the tank down and chucked it in the garden. My plants (same species, under same lighting and fertilizing) grow as good if not better in plain sand. Another aspect is the sharpness of Eco-Complete and Flourite; corys and loaches should not be kept over these, though the sand (as opposed to gravel) might be better in this regard. But it is still a money waster.

As for laterite, I experimented with that back in the late 1990's and found it too did nothing. Plants will grow in practically any substrate, provided the light is sufficient intensity for the species, and nutrients are available. You need to add them with these enriched substrates just the same as with plain sand, so there is no benefit.

We had a similar discussion this week, here
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?278092-Is-Flourite-what-I-m-looking-for
that may help you further.

Byron.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I've never had a problem keeping bottom dwellers in Eco-complete. As I mentioned, the much coarser Flora Max is not so good and it also has sharp edges. Having said that, I do have a few Cories with very short barbells that have been living in the Flora Max tank for nearly 5 years now.
Go figure.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Eco complete doesn't actually have nutrients in it...which is a problem if running anything other than low light (and even then). Eco complete just holds onto nutrients you put into the tank very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ama6t3Qem1Q explains it very well.

I like eco complete, I use it in my 75, but I also have to add ferts daily, which is eh. Aquasoil is expensive as hell and you have to basically get that stuff imported and spend a buttload on it, but it works very well. Or just use sand capped with organic potting mix, OR mineralize topsoil and cap it with sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store