Carpet plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
What are some hardy carpet plants? I'm thinking about using something other than DHG as the grass is actually quite tall, so it's not really a foreground plant anymore...

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
feel like cleaning/pruning all the time?
what lighting on what tank?
carbon? if so, explain.

riccardia chamedryfolia (suuuuuuper slow grower), any moss, riccia (stays low but needs trimming so it doesn't separate and will float it's way into everything), dwarf sag (sagitaria subulata [this could very well wind up taller than you're looking for too, maybe not]), ug... i think needs high light to stay close to the substrate, hm (also needs high light to stay short), hc (picky, not so much hardy... also may float away)

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
echinodorus tenellus is nice, although I think some types grow tall and others stay low.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
feel like cleaning/pruning all the time?
what lighting on what tank?
carbon? if so, explain.

riccardia chamedryfolia (suuuuuuper slow grower), any moss, riccia (stays low but needs trimming so it doesn't separate and will float it's way into everything), dwarf sag (sagitaria subulata [this could very well wind up taller than you're looking for too, maybe not]), ug... i think needs high light to stay close to the substrate, hm (also needs high light to stay short), hc (picky, not so much hardy... also may float away)
Great info here. Glossostigma is another one - personality I couldn't get the darn thing to carpet, but it made a pretty little stem plant!

A lot of carpet plants require lots of maintenance including co2, plenty of light, & trimming! One of the easiest would me java moss sandwiched between plastic canvas. You could look into cryptocoryne parva growing into a foreground (low) plant but not sure that's what you're going for. There is a mini microsword, but not sure on the actual name (minima?).

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Marsilea minuta. It's a loosely carpeting plant, but it stays nice and short and is a reasonably slow grower so you don't have to trim all the time.

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
I heard that Java moss is impossible to kill, but I personally don't like the way it looks.

I heard dwarf hairgrass is somewhat hardy, but I'm not exactly and expert in this field.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
If you really want to use DHG as a short foreground, you have to "mow" it. Ok...trim but since it is grass....well....mow...ok...enough of that.

You can cut it about 1.5 inches to give it a nice look. Stagger your cuts to add depth to the tank. That is providing of course you have a nice carpet to work with.

Other than that...your options have already been mentioned. The lighting and ferts will come into play as most of those really need them.

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Oh, forgot to mention... 2x 13W CFL ice cream cones as light, Nutrafin CO2 system, Seachem Flourish, and Eco-Complete will be the set up.

My current DHG is about 2.5in long, if I trim an inch off of them will they spread more horizontally or will they still grow vertically?

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
Oh, forgot to mention... 2x 13W CFL ice cream cones as light, Nutrafin CO2 system, Seachem Flourish, and Eco-Complete will be the set up.

My current DHG is about 2.5in long, if I trim an inch off of them will they spread more horizontally or will they still grow vertically?
I don't think the blades grow back after you trim them. However, it promotes runner growth, so the DHG will start to spread more horizontally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store