• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catch and release?!?

Rbishop

...and over the edge.
Staff member
I want all those fish mental doctors to speak up now.....

Rbishop

...and over the edge.
Staff member
bogus study...prove they were previously caught and 6 days ago or less.....for gosh sakes... a PETA reference...lmao

Rbishop

...and over the edge.
Staff member
No harm has been done? How do you pull the fish out of the water without having a sharp hook stuck in their mouth? What about psychological stress from being hunted for no reason? Only because a fish won't scream at you doesn't mean it can't feel pain.

Maybe with barbless hooks?

Duckie

AC Members
bogus study...prove they were previously caught and 6 days ago or less.....for gosh sakes... a PETA reference...lmao
It is not a bogus study, it is out of context. A worst case scenario isolated incident. And yet it did happen in one of those catch and release contests.

Vincenia

AC Members
I've caught the same fish a few times in a month, I knew it was the same one since it had a deformed head. I even caught him again 3 times last year. I've seen dead fish from other reasons instead of being caught and released.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Staff member
If I'm targeting a certain species and catch other species that I know I won't eat, I'll release them. I see nothing wrong with this. Calling something cruel implies malice.

Mark

Kaliska

AC Members
We release much of what we catch. Sometimes I just like to see how fast I can catch bluegill. In heavily stocked areas that are starting to stunt the bluegill we will keep some for dog food. We also use any fish that has swallowed a hook or gotten damaged as dog food. If we get a nice fish like that bass, which was the best tasting fish I've ever eaten, or some good catfish we'll keep them. For catfish we usually use a small clear pond so they are clean. Stocking is maintained by the city/county in these ponds that had to be built to handle the runoff from new construction so they put them to use. This city has trout stocked in a few streams that are fed from underground and so stay cool year round.

ApistoJohn

Registered Member
I really do enjoy the taste of fresh fish. However I enjoy catching fish not cleaning them. So I only keep em when I'm really in the mood for some fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store