Catfish to the max

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Hey guys, I have a 26 bowfront that i'm looking to fill with cats. I already have a bristlenose and am going to get a clown pleco. I also have 6 lamp eye tetras to fill in the top, and a pair of Apistogramma trifasciata coming in for the midwater and to add some color. I wanted some cories in addition, but I am worried that they will get bullied by the apistos. Are there any more catfish I cold add besides cories? I was also looking at rineloricaria and a twig catfish, would these be alright or is there too much competition? I would be fine with just the plecos, but I want to get as many catfish as possible.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Quick comment first on the BN and Clown pleco. Both remain close to the 4 inch length, but they are territorial (males esp). I'm not suggesting they will not manage fine together, just a caution, but one worth bearing in mind in smaller tanks (under 4 feet length). Also, the Clown is very secretive and may not be seen, if that matters. Some people don't like fish they can't find.

If your intention is to raise fry from A. trifasciata, any and all catfish will almost make this impossible. Being nocturnal, catfish easily devour the eggs or the fry when the parents are "asleep." And during egg/fry periods, the apistos will be intolerant of nosy catfish.

But aside from the above, corys are fine with apistos; the pushing around doesn't seem to phase them much. Farlowella (twig cat) and Rineloricaria (whiptail) the same. I've had all these together myself.

You may already know this, but if you intend three apistos get one male and two females. A. trifasciatus can be kept as a pair or in a harem.

Byron.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Alright thanks. I might just go with the bristlenose or maybe get it a mate and then probably some cories. I know that the bn will get some or all of the eggs, but that is fine, I am not really trying to raise them although that would be awesome if I could. Other thing about the cories is I have heard they will almost definitely get all the eggs whereas bns and plecos dont always get every egg/fry. I also heard the apistos cant hurt plecos much but I was worried about the cories because the apistos might be able to seriously injure them. Now i've got some decisions to make :)

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Would a flash pleco (L204) be as territorial? I am planning on adding caves soon, so there will be more claimable space.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Would a flash pleco (L204) be as territorial? I am planning on adding caves soon, so there will be more claimable space.
I've not kept any of the Panaqolus species, but Planet Catfish says they become more territorial as they mature. I would surmise most of the "pleco" type loricariids are much the same in this respect. This is a beauty, too, here's the PC data and photos
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=126
One issue here is water current; PC says this species should have it, but no apisto likes currents. The Farlowella and Rineloricaria are better in this regard, along with corys.

Byron.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, planet catfish is where I found out about it, I guess I just didn't read it thoroughly enough. I think i'll just get mine a mate and maybe three or four cories. Thanks for the info :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store