Cats and fish tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Tinfoil has never worked for me. Our problem is w/ our cat getting up on the table. It's kind of gross to have the cats on the dinning room table and she sheds on the placemats etc. But anyhow, we tried laying tinfoil out and she just went right up and went to sleep on the tinfoil. She jumps down as soon as we come into the room, or hears us coming, but it's annoying. Sometimes, cats will be cats.

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
You know, cats are wonderful at training us to do what they want us to do. I think that your cats are getting attention by doing this behavior over and over. My cat thinks it's hilarious to do this, btw. As you stop paying attention to them doing this, the novelty will wear off and they will find another way to get a rise out of you. My cat also loves to play jokes on people like ambushing them to scare the bejeebers out of them. Or to sit quietly somewhere and watch you search the house for him. Goofya** cat. Bless their fuzzy little hearts.

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
Back when I had a 10 gal my cat was enamored by the tank. to the point that she took a running start across the back of the couch and attempted to dive into the tank. Mid flight she realized that glass is solid and will not simply allow a cat to pass through to the delicious fish inside. she hit the tank at full speed (it didn't move) and then walked away like nothing ever happened.

She doesn't even look at the tank anymore. My other cat used to climb on the tank all the time until we moved and now there isn't anything to climb on to get onto the tank.

anyway, cats will be cats, let em do what they like. We should count ourselves fortunate that they let us pet them and keep fish in their homes. :)

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Back when I had a 10 gal my cat was enamored by the tank. to the point that she took a running start across the back of the couch and attempted to dive into the tank. Mid flight she realized that glass is solid and will not simply allow a cat to pass through to the delicious fish inside. she hit the tank at full speed (it didn't move) and then walked away like nothing ever happened.

She doesn't even look at the tank anymore. My other cat used to climb on the tank all the time until we moved and now there isn't anything to climb on to get onto the tank.

anyway, cats will be cats, let em do what they like. We should count ourselves fortunate that they let us pet them and keep fish in their homes. :)
Spoken like a person who really understands cats.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I was going to suggest the spray bottle too. It doesn't work for me but does for my sister who has a house full of cats. They are so afraid of the spray bottle that all she has to do is set the spray bottle right next to whatever she wants them to stay away from and when they see the spray bottle they bolt right out of the room. I guess it works for some people but not others. Every cat has their own little(sometimes big) personalities just as people do. You just have to keep trying things until you find something that actually works.

Marinemom

NAUTILO

Black Diamond Singrays ...
Jun 4, 2003
Peru
Visit site
Some ideas comming to my mind:

Buy a small tank with fake colorfull fish moving around...

Buy a hamster and put him in a strong acrylic box!!

Buy a dog and train him (easier than training cats) to keep them away from your fish.

Electric fence but with not so high voltage...

Get an electric eel or a piraña!!!

Need a brainstorm of ideas!!! some may work or at least make this streesy couple laugh at.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
Except when it does, as it has for myself and others here.
worked for me too, my cat killed my iggy and spent quite some time trying to kill my lizards i started chasing him out of my room every time i saw him and it worked after a couple weeks.

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know of a way I can keep my cats out of the fish tanks? My boyfriend (DooSPX) is getting upset with them. Its bad enough they keep him awake at night, get on the counters, and mess up the blinds. Today while I was at work they got up on the counter knocked the top off of the one gallon with Shelly in it and got water all over the place. He was so mad when he got to my house and seen that. I don't know what to do to prevent them from getting up on the counter. I tried the sticky tape and it didn't bother them a bit. They used to get on top of the 65 till we got the hood cover. Any one have any suggestions?
DooSPX, pls read the above post and maybe you'll realize why people were upset. "when he got to my house". That got me going too because it's not your house and your girlfriend is worried sick about how her cats are affecting your mood. My cats peeve my husband off all the time but if I asked for help on here and worded my post like that I'd expect a few comments.

I have 5 cats and 3 tanks. The only time they really try to get up there is if the water dish is getting low. When they do I just give them a "heh" and clap my hands. After a couple of those they usually jump down as soon as they see me and won't try again as long as I'm around. I'm sure they must be doing it when I'm not there though. I guess fish water tastes good to them. What I would do with a tank they had knocked over is put it in my bedroom and keep the door shut and cats out.

For the larger tanks make sure they have a canopy and that the filter is covered. I lost the lid to a filter once and noticed that this was the tank the cats were all going for. They were getting the water out of the filter. I covered it up with heavy books until I found the lid. They do calm down with age and won't keep you up at night playing. About the blinds - do you have the string for them hanging down? The thing with kittens is to try and take away all temptation. They're like little kids - you put away the valuable nic nacs until they learn. It will get better. Hang in there.

By the way, one of my cats is called Gravy. My grand-daughter named him that because he's gray. She was 3 at the time.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i constantly have cups and other stuff around my tank (just from being lazy not a stratagy). mine cant jump up ther if thers stuff in the way.

shes more into lizards now tho im sure thats just a phase:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store