caught new fish for my 'local waters' salt tank.. i need I.D.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Most likely the Planehead Filefish (as Industrial mentioned) if you caught it in Sargassum.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
Is it eating?
theyve been very very busy hunting thru the tank for these little prawns and shrimp i caught. as well, they wil occasionally eat the plankton i drop in, and are slowly learning that the spectrum pellets are food. they are VERY cool fish.

ive noticed that theres a possibly i ahve two diff species. while two of them hold that blotching tan/olive look, one looks to bee paler, and has a different patter of blotches which only go thru the back of the fish. perhaps he/shes still immature and hasnt fully developed, but ive also noticed that the two who look alike seem to stick together while the oddball roams alone.. im loving these fish, the last couple fish ive had were disasters

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
just went back to the beach today.. got some great catches! im using a drip line to adjust them to the water of the tank, they shuld be in the tank in an hour (theyve been dripping for about an hour already). i caught a cool fish but dont know what it is (will have a thread up soon for it) some kind of puffer (its EXTREMELY tiny) another file fish and some other really small fish (cant tell but it mite also be a file fish). ill post a new thread for those guys once i get pics

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Nice. Are you fishing from the beach or going offshore for these catches? Never saw that much life in the seaweed drifts, but I've only looked along the beach.

The only commonly found puffer I know of in the area is the Checkered. They arn't really thin though (look similar to a Figure-8 or Green-Spotted, but bigger).

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
very nice catch indeed.. especially since you have the files eating

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store