Cause of death?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VippiN

Pro*Lifestyle
Dec 23, 2005
Here we have a fully grown Siamensis. About a week ago I noticed a small circle spot, about 3mm in size, white in color below upper fin. Please see picture. It never changed and I kept an eye on it to see any changes.

No changes until today. Now dead, almost completely white. I assume one of my snails have been chomping on its underbelly exposing it's GREEN innards. That can't be right.

Now no other fish, even fish of the same species have any symptons. I'm debating on doing a melafix treatment to be on the safe side.

See pictures.

Can you determine cause of death? This is my first death this year.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Poor fishy. SAEs are so adorable.

But I find they seem to carry a certain type of sudden death syndrome. I lose them so much that whenever I buy a few, I overbuy just on the assumption that not all of them will make it into adulthood.

Anyway, I can't really answer your question, but I suspect it might be an injury that took to infection. Do you have any sharp ornaments or rocks that he might have gotten hurt on? Those fish are odd swimmers, and I notice little abrasions and scrapes on them quite often.

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Hard to really tell with so many unknowns. But you might want to look up saddleback columnaris if you see it on any other fish.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
prolly unlikely could be a tb type of thing.

VippiN

Pro*Lifestyle
Dec 23, 2005
Thanks for the replies. Attached is a picture of my tank in how it looks generally. :) If anyone needs to ask questions to help find out a possible cause of death i'm glad to reply. First of all, water parameters are good. No new fish introduced in about twelve months. In fact I think he was the last. Other tankmates are 2 Snails, 10 Guppies, 2 juvenile Siamensis, 1 juvenile Flying Fox Siamensis, 1 Bristlenose catfish.

- Can't up picture, photobucket seems to be down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store