center piece fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
well I went with a powder blue dwarf gourami, from what I researched here I have a 78% chance of getting a healthy one(fingers crossed) an Oscar LOL the cpd's wouldn't even be an appetizer to him!

Thanks for all the replies

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
ooh nice..i had 1..he lived for 4 days..he came from very weak stock and carried ich. i hope your little fella goes good :)

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
I've had great luck with single gouramis. A blue/three spot, a gold, an opaline, a pearl as someone else suggested...

I had a 5 inch blue in my 29 as a centerpiece, wonderful fish. He chased others around every so often but never tried to bite, it was more of a territorial display. 90% of the time he minded his own business. Got along great with rasboras.

SecondCity

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Hey, not to hijack the thread but I had a question about an idea for a center piece fish.
I have a 36 gal tank and I was wondering what u guys thought about Blood Red Parrot Cichlid.

How aggressive are these little guys? And how has your experience been with them?

Thanks

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
IMO they get too large for a tank that size. They need something closer to a 55 long term.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
For anyone still considering a centerpiece fish, another vote for Bolivian Ram. They're not flashy but adorable and curious, so rarely hide unless something is wrong. The females and males look so similar it's difficult to tell them apart. In my experience they are better off as singles unless they're a mated pair, since they do get territorial with each other. Peaceful with most other fish though.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
For anyone still considering a centerpiece fish, another vote for Bolivian Ram. They're not flashy but adorable and curious, so rarely hide unless something is wrong. The females and males look so similar it's difficult to tell them apart. In my experience they are better off as singles unless they're a mated pair, since they do get territorial with each other. Peaceful with most other fish though.

I second that. But I have a pair of GBR's and I think something bigger than a 29 would be better for them. Granted I only have mine in a 40, they'll get a bigger better home one day. I love them to pieces :)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
IMO the idea of a center piece fish in a tropical community tank never worked except for those in the hobby that know what to look for. The idea of a center piece fish capturing the attention of guest, passerby's, or novice doesn't exist within the common choices of available species. What has worked for me as a center piece that captures peoples attention, at least in my 120 community tank is a center pair of Angels. My 6" pair of Vail Angels are literally the center piece of my 120 tropical community tank that never fail to capture peoples attention. Always in the center of the tank, always elegant, always greeting passerby's, and always dancing together for a treat while all the other spices are either running for cover or going about their single fish business.

From experience I'm convinced that a well established pair of Angels, truly are an attractive centerpiece to any compatible community, excluding Tetras and small dainos of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store