Centerpiece for my invert tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have a 20 gallon long running a 35 gallon sponge with live plants, Currently there are just snails and shrimp in the tank and I would like these inverts to stay happy and healthy but I would like a centerpiece fish who will not munch too heavily on the shrimp or eat my plants.

I would prefer not to get another betta, The last one got a fin nipping obsession and I can not go through that again.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A Gouramis?? A Honey or Sparklin would look nice.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Any fish you put in there WILL eat your baby shrimp. Not all but they will eat a fair portion of your offspring.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the betta was the only fish in the tank, whose fins was he nipping?

That said, you could go with a black paradise fish--not sure how many shrimp he'd eat, but they're gorgeous, lots of character. Other options would be a group of one of the micro rasboras, or clown killies. They wouldn't impact the shrimp population, and a group of 20+ would be entertaining.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
he was eating his own fins ...

Would platies or other live bearers be an option? They would have the chance at eating their own fry which would probably save some shrimp. I also love tetras... I could do a small school or just one centerpiece fish. I am a huge gourami fan lol.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Did you actually see him nipping his own fins?

Least killies would be safe with shrimp--they're smaller than most cherries, and a livebearer (not actually). I like them, but they're not a flashy fish by any stretch.

Look at chili rasboras, or the sparrow rasboras. Both are pretty, and you could safely keep a large enough school that they'll stand out.

Norman's Lamp Eyes might work too--they'd contrast with the cherry shrimp, and are similarly sized.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
yes I did he would swim around and grab his own fins.

I have never seen any of those fish here, are there any more common fish I could try?

A friend just offered me platy fry, Should I tell her yes or no?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Platies will eat the shrimp.

Why don't you list what's available? Or consider buying online?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
There are too many to list O.O

Its too cold now in my area to buy online. yes i know about heat packs but they can only do so much.

Petsmart is really the only pet store I can go to in my area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store