Changing filter in aqueous 10 quietflow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pslone

AC Members
Aug 28, 2021
Me again. I did a 30% water change yesterday. Checked the ammonia level this evening and it’s 0.25. Did another 20% water change waited 2 1/2 hours and checked again still 0.25. I only have 2 platy fish in the tank one is fine and dandy the other is staying on the bottom.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Platy staying on bottom is not good, but this may or not be related to the filter change, or to the ammonia level, and may be related to preexisting conditions.
In a fully cycled tank, with a self sustaining bacterial colony, there should not be ammonia.
One exception is if there is detectable ammonia in your tap water; you should test for that just to be sure. However, your dechlorinator should be neutralizing that so it becomes harmless.
I am not sure what to tell you, except this:
- this is NOT due to having refurbished the filter media. Had you plain out toss the old cartridge out and put a new one. your loss of bacterial colony would have been worse, with the same situation regarding ammonia buildup, or worse.
- I suspect that in time (a week or two) the bacterial colony will be strong enough to be functional and self sustaining. In the mean time, what I would do is continue observing and monitoring for ammonia and nitrate, and to make smallish (20-30 %) water changes as needed. In time, you shoud detect only nitrate (no nitrite, no ammonia). Eventually you will be able to change some water only once a week or so, which is a doable and an advisable frequency.
Good luck!

Pslone

AC Members
Aug 28, 2021
Ok thanks for the advice. I’m really new to this and it stresses me a little. I’m going to check the levels once a day and do water change if needed and stop stressing about it. I did test the tap water and it was 0. This last water change I got the gravels really good so maybe that will help. I’m also cutting back on the amount of food

Pslone

AC Members
Aug 28, 2021
I think maybe when I rinsed my old filter cartridge in the old tank water I may have rinsed too much good bacteria out. That’s the only thing I can think of. But I want you to know I think all of your advice has been absolutely correct and I really do appreciate all of your help. The sponge in the filter is the best advice ever. Both fish are still hanging in there so I’ll do water changes and hang in there with them.

Reactions: FJB
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store