Changing filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
I am putting a new filter on a well established tank. Is it necessary to put the sponge in the tank for a couple of weeks beforehand to grow bacteria on it or can I just change the filter outright?

Reactions: Lady JinglyJones

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would run them side by side for awhile, then move some media over....

Reactions: wesleydnunder

jimv8673

Banned
May 5, 2009
Why not just put some media from your old filter in the new one, and call it good ?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Depending on the filters and the media shape/type it may not be the quickest....

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
Thanks for the replies. Was going to take Rbishop's advice, but when I got the new filter out of the box, I realized it will not fit on the back of the tank anyway. The cutout on the hood is too narrow. I have a H.O.T. Magnum Cannister on it now, and quite frankly, I've been intimated by it. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it off to clean it well.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Though the bacteria would seed itself in the new filter slowly but surely. You will be discarding so much of the good stuff. Definitely run them together for 2 to 4 weeks. Preferably 4.

Lady JinglyJones

AC Members
Sep 30, 2015
Coast of Coromandel
Real Name
Emily
Camera Used
Ma Galaxy S4.
Handy you asked this - I'm about to do the same!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What size tank & what new filter are you talking about? I had to Dremel off some of the plastic inner rim to fit Aqua Clear 70s on a 75g. Not a super big deal, just a PITA. I would do as Bob said, run both for a good while or exchange media first then run both for a month or so...Really, I run 2 filters on almost all my tanks 20g to 75g, better flow & no worries about cleaning 1 filter well (in tapwater) then the other 2-3 weeks later.

Tinajo

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
KY -Go Big Blue!
What size tank & what new filter are you talking about? I had to Dremel off some of the plastic inner rim to fit Aqua Clear 70s on a 75g. Not a super big deal, just a PITA. I would do as Bob said, run both for a good while or exchange media first then run both for a month or so...Really, I run 2 filters on almost all my tanks 20g to 75g, better flow & no worries about cleaning 1 filter well (in tapwater) then the other 2-3 weeks later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store