Changing out Canister Filter for a New One, But Short on Time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
Hello all.. My 9 yr old JEBO has finally died. I just bought a new Fluval 407 to replace it. I am a 24/7 caregiver for my 97 yr old Dad, and am home for only 9 days. I wanted to swap it out today. My plan is to use the existing ceramic media and add some new also. I am also going to use a couple of the old media pads. Basically, I am just switching the stuff in the old filter into the new one. I have no time to "cycle" the tank. I have never done this before.. If anyone has and has any additional ideas, please let me know.. I am getting the new Fluval ready now..

Thanks for any additional suggestions...

Lori

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Hi Lori,

Your plan sounds just fine and you should not have any problems using the 'old' existing ceramic media, adding additional new media and a couple of the old media pads.

Ideally you could test for ammonia and nitrite after a day or two but as long as you are using a fair amount of the old media, you should be golden.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
Awesome..... Will be cleaning hte glass for the algae that has accumulated and doing at least a 50% slow water change...

Thanks so much.. I kinda figured I would be OK since it ia a straight swap out, but just wanted someone else's "eyes" on this..

Lori

Apr 2, 2002
New York
You might consider not feeding for a day or two. The fish will be fine and this will reduce the amount of ammonia they create but not to the point it will bother the bacteria. This may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

While canisters are decent filters (I have 3 in use) they are somewhat oxygen limited. All this means is one may have more bacteria outside of the filter than the average. This puts you in better shape in making your changeover.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
excellent... sounds good... all I feed them is two brine shrimp gummies in the morning.... I have my hubby on strict rues about feeding since I am back home for a visit every few months, and he has NO idea how to clean. He just adds new water when the level gets just below the hood....

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say it sounds fine.

Do it sooner rather than later, and test your water while you are home to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite build up

But $20 says you will be totally ok!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store