Characteristic Differences of "Bumblebee" Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Good day all, been a while.

Im after information in distinguishing the differences between Asian & SA Bumblebee Catfish.

Im currently an unwilling owner of two Bumblebee Catfish. An anniversary present from a well meaning partner.
Anyways, the two are about the size of half grown Pictus. One is slightly larger & darker, the other small & more lightly coloured.
From what i have read, Asian grow large, are highly predatory & aggressive. These guys are housed with a breeding colony of Kuhli loaches (they breed themselves, sheer fluke) & female Bettas. They show no interest in their tank mates, only coming out if Im putting veg or algae scrapings in for the BN or bloodworms or shrimp for the loaches & Bettas.

Im not particularly fabulous with identifying the more "exotic" Catfish, i only keep to a handful. The LFS seems to think they're SA, but Im a skeptic on the accuracy of LFS's.

Thanks for input.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm no expert, but I have two bumblebees that I've been accommodating for a few months now.

I say accommodating because I had to get them a new tank when I realized they were terrorizing and eating the occupants of my community tank. My fish guy assured me they weren't Asians, and he was right. So here's my one contribution:

There are more than just the two types. The typing and naming of these guys in particular is far from perfect. Mine are "jelly" bumblebee catfish. They're absolutely adorable. But you can't keep them in a tank with anything smaller than a large rainbow fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Oh yay, so chances are i will need to move them?
If they turn into flesh eating monsters, is a 100gal tank with two residing Oscars suitable or would they be better in something larger? I have a heated pond which is only double the Oscar tank, but nothing in it (had goldfish but they bred too readily so sold them off)
Im up grading the Oscar tank in February anyway, so they'd end up with a bigger set up long term.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Pictures would help with the identification. Any forward mouthed catfish will happily eat anything it can fit into it's (typically fairly large for its size) mouth.

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Well, i have my answer. They've both grown fast on a steady diet of bloodworms, shrimp, carp fry and daphnia. One of the bloody creatures decided last night my Blue Crowntail female was fair game also :/

Currently in isolation. Not even big enough to go in with Oscars yet. Bit bummed out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store