Check out this cold marine reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I think your tank is just beautiful!! Keep sharing your photos!!!!

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
SOME MACRO SHOTS.

Here's 3 macro shots...1.a purple starfish, 2 looking at the amazingly sticky body of a dahlia anemone, and 3, one of dozens of glass prawns that help keep the tank clean....it's stomach contents are clearly visible!

2009_042408729timelapse0009.JPG 2009_042408729timelapse0011.JPG 2009_042408729timelapse0016.JPG

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
Hi everybody....great to see so many aquarists have viewed my thread! Kenneth Wingerter has used some of my photos for his excellent 3 part article for Advanced Aquarists Online Magazine...there's also an article of mine in the coming June issue of the UK's great Ultramarine Magazine outlining how I got into the temperate marine side of the hobby after years of keeping tropical marine tanks.
Anyone interested in this lesser known side of the hobby please send me questions through this thread, rather than email .... I'm more than happy to give technical advice.......new photos coming soon!

mrblobby666

AC Members
May 19, 2009
Love The Tank Mate. I'm also from NZ but up North in Tauranga. What kind of habitat do jewel anemones like? I'm not having much luck finding the,

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
ColdMarine007,
Beautiful tank! I live, and dive, in southern California, and I've been running a 60 gallon tank with similar animals for about a year. I just discovered this thread, and I have a few questions for you, since your animals are doing so well. Tell me about feeding and filtration. I have a lot of strawberry anemone (corynactis californica). I want to know about feeding them. What, how often, and how much do you feed? From the thread it seems that you feed finely crushed flake food. How do you grind it up, just in your fingers? How do you keep it from being filtered out of your tank?

Filtration: what do you use, and how do you keep it from filtering (or skimming) the food out of the water as soon as you put it in? Do you use store bought live rock? I wanted to be able to return things I catch back to the ocean without having to worry about introducing non-native animals, so I can't use store bought live rock, and the local rock is not pourous, and does nothing for filtration. I have a big wet/dry filter, and a skimmer, because I have an octopus, which is a messy eater, and the wet/dry can handle the heavy bio load.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store