chemicals or waterchanges what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finaddict

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2003
Orlando Florida
Visit site
Hello everyone, first timer here. I recently got a new 29 gallon tank and set it up with a light layer of coarse gravel, some fake plants, a 150 watt heater, and a inexpensive hang on cartrige type fiter, I filled it up with my well water and 30ml. of Proaquatics water conditioner and got everythng running. By the next weekend I could no longer resist the temptation to get a Oscar (3-1/2 inches) and a Pleco. (about 3 inches) The fish seemed happy and the water stayed nice for about two weeks and then it happened. the water looked cloudy and the Oscar was totally bummed out (hidding in the back corner and never begging for food) Even after massive water changes I could not get the water looking good. Still learning about biological nitrification I went and got a new filter, a Fluval 204 and set it up with all new media. First basket carbon, middle basket polyester floss and third basket biomax. Now the water looks great and I understand it's going to be a while before biological part of the system starts working but what do I do in the mean time. last night the ammonia was 1.5mg/l and the nitrite was 0.3 mg/l. I cut down to three or four medium chiclid pellets a day and added 25ml of A.P. Ammolock, within one hour the Oscar was happy again, but in the morning he was back to hiding in the corner. My question now is do I add more Ammolock, change water, or just sit tight and wait?

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Finaddict,

Welcome to aquariacentral and welcome to a new great hobby. You've done the right think in starting your research and joining this forum.

Arrrrrggggggg! You went and did what?

Oh well, you've got some serious challenges to face.
First and foremost you have cycle your tank. You seem to be on your way to understanding that ok. Try getting gravel from a good tank somewhere and add it to your tank every few days.
Change 50% water every day or two to make sure the ammonia and nitrite don't harm your fish. Try to keep ammo and nitrite below .5ppm but don't use ammolock except as last resort.
If you have access to gravel from an established tank you might cycle your tank in a week or two.
Second, your Oscar and Pl*co will both outgrow your 29 gal. If you plan ahead for that they may be ok for now.
Third, read, read, read. try www.theskepticalaquarist.com to start with.
good luck
:)

ChelseaSkinGirl

AC Members
May 17, 2002
Orlando, FL
Re: Re: chemicals or waterchanges what to do?

Originally posted by famman

Try getting gravel from a good tank somewhere and add it to your tank every few days.
I'm tearing down a 5.5 gal tank if you want some cycled gravel and water.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store