chipped glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glasman

Happy fishies please!
Dec 9, 2009
Louisville Ky
Real Name
Scott
I work for a glass manufacturing wholesale company and what you have there, we call a "shell". If its on the outside of the tank, and not very deep, just fill it in with silicone to smooth it out to help with appearance. Test it outside, im betting you will be fine. That will be the weak spot on that pane, so if you feel like you have to do something, and you dont want to spend alot, buy a small strip of glass, say 4inches by the height of the tank and silicone it into that corner form the inside, covering the damaged area.

viper693555800

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
ok well where the chip is the glass is still in place should i pull that piece of glass out or not mess with it since its still being held in

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I wouldn't pull the whole pane out. Instead, as others said, get some aquarium silicne and fill it in and test outside.

viper693555800

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
rollinondubz2002 here r the best pics i can do with the light behind bc of glare. i used the tank light overhead. hope these pics help some

ftchip7.jpg ftchip8.jpg

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
I would still use a glass repair glue or clear epoxy... something that would seep into any fissures and help to reinforce the fissures to make it less likely to spider-web out from the original break... just like they do for windshield repairs of little bullseye dings, etc. If you can make it less likely to be a weak spot, then any stress on the tank will be spread out over all of the tank instead of being more likely to focus on that one cracked/chipped area.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Doesn't look very deep to me and rather minor IMO. I have a chip on my 210 that is much larger and at the bottom of the tank, and my chip doesn't leak at all. Im still contemplating using JB weld s an outside support patch since it claimes to adheaer to glass with 1800 PSI or just leave it lol. But Im defiantly going to use it as is.

See my chip below, now that is what I call a chip lol.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
I would definitely do something to protect that corner from further damage. Fortunately, corners aren't the biggest stress spots in tanks... although they are most likely to get damaged. The middle of the glass where the water weight is most likely to cause some bowing, is the spot where you don't want a chip and bowing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store