Christmas Tank - Goby and pistol shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
Hi Guys i am setting up a nano tank for my brother for christmas (something a little different and special, hes my twin btw)

anyways my question is this its a fully cycled 10G with 20LB of live rock and live sand (no other filtration) Its just about ready for its inhabitants. My favourites for this will be a pistol shrimp + goby can you guys tell me which species of goby shares its life with a pistol shrimp?

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
I have a threadfin goby and a Randalls Pistol shrimp. They are a lot of fun to watch and both look really cool. They began hanging by eachother while I was acclimating them in the same bucket and I didnt even buy them as a pair. They paired up in about 5 minutes once in my tank. A yellow watchman goby also will pair up with a pistol shrimp. Yasha Haze gobies seem to be really popular for nano reefs right now and those are also pretty colorful and will readily pair up with a pistol shrimp.

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Lots of gobies will pair up with shrimp, and there are a few species of pistol that are symbiotic (others aren't so make sure you're getting the right type). My tiger pistol paired up with his orange-spotted shrimp goby almost instantly - he'd been in the tank for a while on his own, and when I introduced the fish he quickly ran up to it and herded it into a tunnel. They've been inseparable ever since :)

Here they are, doing their thing:

Here's a link to an article about shrimp gobies on www.wetwebmedia.com, should give you a start on your research :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store