cichlid breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

graycloud

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
i wanted to start breeding cichlids and was wondering which species sell the best to stores. and what do i need to sell to pet stores (like a permit or certificate or something). for now since i dont know what to expect, i would like to start with one pair of fish. i would start with red terrors (i have a large 7"-8" female) but i cant find a mate for my fish. pet stores dont seem to have them (uropthalmus). much help and your personal experiences wanted. thx

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
You would be better starting off with something gen regarded as easy i.e. kribensis or Angel fish. Both these fish are facinating to bred. As a very general rule, the more expensive a fish is in the stores, the harder the whole breeding and rearing process will be.

After you've done this you could try something more difficult.

Whenever I 'sell' back fish to the LFS, I usually end up with merchandise (chemicals and food and fish that take my fancy) or store credit rather than cash. Dont expect toget anywhere near what the fish shop is selling the fish for.

Cant help you with the permit thing Im afraid. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store