Cichlid Tank size and Difficulty.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Im getting my first ever tank or two in a few months and am Interested in several different cichlids. The problem is while doing some reading I've been getting some mixed opinions about tank sizes.

My for sure tank is going to be a community tank with at least a pair of Bolivian rams as the Main fish but i'm not to sure about what I should put in my other 1 if I get it. The community tank will be a 30-40 gallon tank while the 2nd would be a 55 gallon with at least a pair of 1 of these cichlids.

The Cichlids i'm interested in are the
for 1 Five star General (min 45g)?
for 1 Bumble bee (min 50)?
Pair Convicts (Min 30-40)?
But the information i'm getting online is throwing me off a bit in terms of tank sizes and difficulty for them they seem to be different on everything I read for minimum tank size and I would like to see what yall would recommend what gallon tank that would to house a pair of one these guys. It would help me choose which 1 to get for the 55 gallon tank.

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Probably could've worded my questions better What I meant to ask is
What size tank would I need to have just a pair of bumble bees or just a pair five stars generals. And how hard are they to take care of. I only want 1 of the 2 but am confused about the minimum tank size for a pair.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
When you asked about the bumble bee are you referring to Pseudotropheus crabro which is a Lake Malawi cichlid? If so, these are not pairing cichlids and are a rather aggressive cichlid. The usual suggestion is one male to 4 or 5 females and a 48" long tank. Not recommended with the other fish you are considering.

Reactions: Sprinkle

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Yes I was and Thank you I've been trying to research each fish I'm interested in but I'm not finding much about certain 1s. With the Pseudotropheus crabro I would only have them in the tank which would be a 55g if I found 1 at a reasonable price. since from what Little info I could get that they were aggressive fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would not start with any of those fish, all are aggressive. I hadn't heard of 5 star general, but a quick google says they're larger jewel cichlids, even more aggressive than convicts. Both will breed faster than you can rehome them...I'm not kidding! It's only fun for a short time...

African lake cichlids of almost all kinds super aggressive & need to be kept in colonies to spread out their fighting...& that may be with male only groups, females will cause all heck to break out. Really, I've never kept them for those reasons...Read a whole lot more on them

I'm going to suggest, after you get your first community Bolivian tank going & happy for many months that you look at smaller or dwarf cichlids. Apistogrammas, curviceps maybe. Or just 1 male or female of a couple CA species. No breeding then but, much more peaceful for the most part. We loved blue acaras & firemouths & tried to keep a pair of each in a 55g. yeah, not so good although both bred. The larger acaras took 2/3 of the tank.

I know you have so many fish on your wish list but my best advice is to go slow & research!!

Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store