Cichlids and Pictus Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
I have tried finding some info on if these can be together but not having much luck. Would this work or would the cichlids kill the catfish. Cichlids are mostly full grown - 1 Bumblebee, 2 Red Zebras, 2 Yellow labs, 1 Blue Ahli. 3 full size Pictus Catfish in a 55 gallon tank.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I wouldn't keep pictus with Malawi cichlids, the water parameters for the catfish vs the mbuna are very different. Also, they do not have armored plates like plecos. I keep pictus with CA cichlids, but they're much milder mannered than Africans are.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I wouldn't keep pictus with Malawi cichlids, the water parameters for the catfish vs the mbuna are very different. Also, they do not have armored plates like plecos. I keep pictus with CA cichlids, but they're much milder mannered than Africans are.

I agree...

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
This is what I figured but wanted to ask.

The cichlids were inherited and are in a 30 gallon tank. They look cramped in there to me. My own tank is a 55 gallon that has the 3 Pictus, 3 Angelfish. There is a small group of Corys, Diamond Tetras and Long Finned Rosy Barbs with them. All the occupants in my tank have been together for 3 plus years.

My thought if it would have worked, was to move the Angelfish and smaller fish into the 30 and move the Cichlids to the 55 with the the Pictus. But that is not going to work. So right now, everyone is staying put where they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store