Cichlids for a 20 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
I am busy looking at fish for my 20 gallon aquarium, and i think that a pair of small cichlids would be perfect for my tank. However i have absolutely no clue when it comes to anything about cichlids.

So far my stocking list contains -

6-8 Black neon tetras
6-8 Glowlight tetras
5 species of corydora

Someoned suggested that i had room for show fish and a pair of small cichlids would look good in my tank. So if it is not too much trouble could you please suggest some commonly available small cichlids?

Ones that i have heard about are:

Bolivian Rams
Blue Rams
Kribs
Apistos
Convicts

I know a small amount about Bolivian Rams but know next to nothing about the other four, i dont even know what they look like.

Thanks - Jighead

Last edited:

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
I have done some searches, and i remember seeing blue rams and bolivian rams at my local fish store. Are Blue rams and Bolivian rams compatible? I am really liking the idea of a cichlid tank and may get another 20 gallon. Would it be fine to keep a pair of Bolivian and a pair Blue rams in same tank?

EDIT: I have done alot of internet searches and have fallen in love with the blue and bolivian rams. Tomorrow i am going out to buy another 20 gallon.
The question is are the two compatible? I plan on getting a pair of each.

Also any other tips and general knowledge on the two would be appreciated

- Jighead

Last edited:

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I know the bolivian and german blue rams are compatible, but I'm not sure if 20 gallons is big enough for 2 mating pairs. If you like the rams, google apistos, especially the apistograma cackatoo. Kribensis are also very cool fish. The rams tend to be fragile depending on were they are from. If you do get german blue rams, make sure they are from the states or europe. The ones from asia die, I have never been able to keep one alive, and noone I've talkked to either. I do have one from germany and I love him.

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Bolivian Rams are actually a better choice than the blue rams.

Bolivians are a more hearty fish and better suited for a beginner. Check on Aquabid for B. Rams (or M. Altispinosa) if your LFS supply is questionable as they may get them from asian source rather than domestic or European bred.

I got my Bolivians from a US breeder and WOW! they arrived in good health & colored up to a pretty yellow within a couple hours after being aclimated.

Also, my rams are in a 55 with all tetras. Gotta watch out if you want cories in the same tank because a spawning pair of rams will totally OWN the cories and potentially harm them to protect their brood!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I would strongly suggest no other bottom dwellers (cories or loaches) for dwarf cichlids. It can work in larger tanks, but any species of dwarf cichlid would consider the entire 20g it's territory, and most likely make life miserable for the cories.

Although rams are pretty mild, I still would not suggest more than one pair for anything smaller than a 30g (36 in tank). Dwarf cichlids are small, but their territory sizes are surprisingly large when kept in aquariums.

You could do two schools of 6 tetras each plus a pair of rams, but that would be absolute max for that tank. Personally, I would do 10-12 of the same species of tetras, plus the rams. Aestetically, I think it would look alot nicer. As for a "show" fish, no room reall. If you wanted to keep an angel or dwarf gourami as a upper level centerpiece I suppose you could, but you'd have to limit the number of tetras to around 6.

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Although rams are pretty mild, I still would not suggest more than one pair for anything smaller than a 30g (36 in tank). Dwarf cichlids are small, but their territory sizes are surprisingly large when kept in aquariums.
What is the minimum size tank for just one pair of either blue or bolivian rams?

Would a 20 gallon long (same length as 30 gal) be enough for two pairs?

Thanks a lot for the info guys it has been of great help, i am know determined to set a tank up with either blue rams or bolivian rams or even both.

thanks - Jighead

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
My head is starting to ache as i am trying to figure out combinations of fish, tank size, and how much it will all cost.

What i really want to make happen is 1 or more aquariums with these species as inhabitants:

Black Neon Tetras
Glowlight Tetras
Emerald or "Green" Cory
Peppered Cory
Pair of Blue Rams
Pair of Bolivian Rams

My budget for this project is $150 to $175.

Any help on combinations of fish and tank size + number of tanks would be great help.

My thinking is i could have 2 smaller tanks or 1 big tank like a 29 gallon.

Thanks - Jighead

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
After much thought i am going to make a stab at my own question.

My idea is to have 2 10 gallon tanks with a pair of blue rams in one, and a pair of bolivian rams in the other, with other fish based around the rams.

How's this for the stocking plan:

1st 10 gallon tank-

pair of Blue Rams
8-10 glowlight tetras
3 corydora species (to be determined at lfs)

2nd 10 gallon tank-

pair of bolivian rams
8-10 black neon tetras
3 corydora species (to be determined at lfs)

Suggestions?

The only thing i am not sure about is the compatibility of the corys and rams.

Also I am a bit confused on the type of substrate to use, is a polished gravel best? Or is a sand/gravel mix ideal for the species?

Thanks - Jighead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store