Cichlids in a 15 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deadhead324

AC Members
Apr 17, 2011
So I have just recently set up a 15 gallon tank and I am currently exploring all of my options. I read an article (link on the bottom) that says a pair of convicts can be put in a 15 gallon tank, but based on the fact that they grow to 6 inches and their aggressive nature, I can't imagine this working (even though I would love to have some convicts) my question is is there any cichlids I can put in a 15 gallon tank? The current pH is ~7.8. Even if it is only 1 cichlid that would be fine, it doesn't have to be a pair. Thanks!

http://cichlidresearch.com/simpleaquarium.html

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
I wouldn't keep Convicts in 15 gal either. I'm sure a pair would survive, and would almost certainly breed too, then you have 50 convicts... great.

Rams or Cockatoos might be possible, but your high pH suggests you have fairly hard water, and they may not like that.

A pair of Kribensis should work, 20 gal is suggested for them, but as a 15gal has the same footprint they should be fine. And if they breed, at least people want the fry.

African Shell Dwellers would be perfect though, both for the tank size and the higher pH (they prefer it up around 8.0).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamprologus_multifasciatus

Ian

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I agree, I wouldn't keep convicts in a tank that small, but it is the perfect size for some multifasciatus (shellie multies). I keep mine in a 10g. You could also probably do some apistos in that size I think. :)

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think shellies are probably your best bet.

Kribs could also work well.

If you go the one fish route, you could keep one medium sized peacock or "haplochromis". You definitely would want to get a male, because they have more intense coloration.

deadhead324

AC Members
Apr 17, 2011
Right now, I am leaning towards apistos, gbrs, or bolivian rams, the only problem I have is that I would not have room for fry if they breed. Is there anyway I could have 1 apisto or 1 ram with a small school of neon/cardinal tetras? Or could I have 1 apisto with 1 gbr or bolivian ram?

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah, one dwarf cichlid and a school of Neons would probably be fine. They may not breed in that higher pH water, but chances are they will live just fine, and if they are not breeding they are pretty mellow towards tank mates.

10 neons and a Ram cichlid should be OK.

I had a Kribensis, neons and guppies in a 20 long and they did just fine.

Ian

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Most dwarf cichlids like shellies, rams, apistos, kribs, and keyholes would be able to fit in that tank well. I think a 20g long is better suited for breeding convict cichlids.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
The convicts are going to reproduce like crazy, but they are not really aggressive - a mated pair will actually fight together to defend their turf. They won't make 6 inches in a tank that small, but if you can find a use for the fry then it's workable but it's going to be a LOT of them. A tiny rusty colony would be nice and they'd all get along fine but they will probably spawn occasionally, too. They are a bit smaller than most the africans and seem to grow slower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store