Cichlids in community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Some more peaceful cichlids.

Festivums
Rainbow cichlids
keyholes
rams
blue acaras (depending on tankmates)
severums (depending on tankmates)
sajicas (blue eyes)
herichthys spilurus (formerly of the Archocentrus genus)
red pendex (with larger fish as tankmates. I learned the hard way. If it fits into a red pendex's mouth it will eat it. Otherwise it's fine)
flier cichlids (Mojo could tell you more about them though)

I have own all but the rams and the fliers at one point or another. And I have found them all peaceful to a certain degree.

Remember though that aggressive is a relative term with cichlids. They all are to a extent. Even the most doicle cichlid will kick the snot out of a smaller fish if given the the chance, and the circumstances are right.

Last edited:

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm trying to preplan the fish I want in my new 100gal tank that'll be ready next spring so I can get them living together between now and then in the 55gal tank.

I want to do a west african habitat tank because I fell in love with my ropefishes so much and there are some interesting fish from that region.

I think I will try kribs since they are also commonly found in the niger river/basin area same as the ropefish. I hope they won't be small enough for the ropefish to eat, but they aren't overly aggressive and have quite small mouths. They don't seem to bother any of the other fish in there with them currently (pl*co and bala shark, but they are very small around 2-3" while the ropefish are about 9-11").

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I second the apistos,kribs and rams. Another very peaceful small cichlid is the keyhole cichlid. Angels will work if purchased as juveniles and your tank has the space (mine are now adult but still ignore my school of neons). Discus can be a community fish, given you have no species which are flighty and will spook them.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I have a large blue acara in a community. Never touches the other fish. A small neon got in there by accident (scooped up accidently by the fish shop), and he didn't even touch it, although it would have been an easy snack.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I'm in the process of changing a tank (55g) and I've already got my four keyhole cichlids. I'm looking for cardinals, mostly because they get bigger than neons, and I want to add a pair of angelfish. If I've got a lot of mature, biggish neons when I add a pair of baby angels, they won't be in the habit of eating them, they'll be acclimated to eating pelletted food. Note, this last is at least what I'm told, I am new to the world of cichlids. But, it makes sense to me...

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store