clay pots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evil_angel_fish

::yawn:: can I stop being evil now?
Jun 16, 2004
Queens New York
Visit site
would I be able to use clay pots in my tank as hiding space? if so is there any specifications as to what I need to do to it? I have old used ones but I have never put anything but PVC in the tank from around my hosue.

any other house hold things I can use as deco?

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
There fine. as long as there glazed (or you'll tint your water) :)

A scrubbing with something like washing up liqiud or bleech (if you wanna go OTT) is fine. Just make sure to wash all the cleaing solution off.

My parrot fish love there pot, they spend most of there time in it at the moment :)

heat

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Houghton Lake, Michigan
Go with new pots not used. I've used unglazed pots and bottom dishes and have never had a water tint problem in the 3 years the pots/dishes were in my tanks.
My africans loved them all.
You can even go so far as to make caves with smaller entrances for the littler fish to hide in if you have any aggression issues. Simply popping out the bottom with the drain hole in it carefully (flat head screwdriver and small mallet work) and silicone a matching dish (the clay dishes to catch water when used with plants) to the original top/large opening.

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Yes, those standard clay unglazed reddish pots work great. No colouring of the water. You can break the bottom out of the and file it down to make little tunnels. They come in all sizes. Perfect little things.

In fact I would almost say to stay away from glazes. As flower pots aren't meant to hold food there is no laws about what can be used in the glazes. And leads and other heavy metals often find their way into those glazes.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA

I bought this (unglazed!) clay pot at Home Depot for $4, tied Java Moss onto it, and filled the bottom with some gravel... my water parameters didn't change at all. I rinsed it out in hot water before adding to the tank. My cories like to zip in and out of it, and my pleco likes to rest on top of it...

~Tara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store