clean hoses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dona

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
nj
Visit site
I have a gravel cleaner and i was wondering what was the best cleaner to use when the hoses get dirty

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Yea, if the tube is long, it will be hard to clean and there really isn't too much you could to. Like my bud just said, some kind of soap sounds pretty good to me. Maybe leave it in the tube for a while to really give it chance to work.

HTH

Last edited:

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I personally don't let soap anywhere near my fish stuff. It's nearly impossible to get all soap residue off of anything. Soap is NOT good for your fish. I simply use hot water. Fill up the sink...then fill up the hose...leave it soaking in the hot water for a while. After soaking, do your best to send some higher pressure water through the hose.

If you're having hard water deposits, add some vinegar to the water you're soaking in.

If the host is really bad...just buy new hose, even if you have a 100' python, new hose is only a few bucks.

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
Dona, I have the same problem. When it become to impossible to see through the tube anymore, I will see if I can buy an extension or just invest in another. I would not use the soap. Someone suggested at one time to run hot water through the tube. I did not find that to work that well.

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
Here is something you could try:
Get some kite string or something similar and a sponge
cut a small peice of sponge (so it loosly fits the inside of the hose) and tie it to the string
Use your house hold vacume cleaner on the other end of the hose and draw the string through the hose
Once you have the string through your hose cut the string 2X longer than you need
Tie a rag or more sponge in the middle of the string and you can pull it back and forth through the hose to clean it.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
No way do I let any type of soap anywhere near stuff I'm using with my fish.

I lost some fish that way once--I'd washed my hands with liquid dish detergent, rinsed them off lightly, and then stuck my hand in my tank. I had four fish deaths within 48 hours, and that was the only factor that I know of that could have come into play.

Never again.

-- Pat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store