Clean-up crew for my 72g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
NJ Devils fan - well I am a big fan of Clown Loaches - and IMO if you get the ones that are 1" to 2 1/2" now - you won't have any problem for 4 or 5 years. they do get big but they do grow slowly. I have had 3 in a 29 gallon that started around 1" and in 2+ years grew to the 2" to 2 1/2" range.

So, I say get the clowns - and if in 4 or 5 years they get too big, then trade them in at your LFS. A lot can happen in 4 or 5 years.

BTW - In my new tank (the same 72 gallon bowfront) I have decided on 2 bristlenose and 5 or 6 clowns (plus one existing yo-yo loach) as my cleanup crew. the bristlenose because the clowns I have had don't really touch the algae - and the clowns (who by the way love bloodworms) because I enjoy them a lot and they do scour the bottom picking up food that has fallen there.

good luck

csmaster

AC Members
Oct 26, 2001
Derbyshire, UK
the common plec will most likely not get anymore than 12" max, the bristlenoses will get 5-6" max, the clown loached IMO will get 6-7" tops, but theres a possibility of getting to 12" each! You should still have plenty of room left in the tank for other fish also :)

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Just to let you know, clown loach prices do depend on size. Probably becouse they do grow so slowley. So you can get 2" loaches for 4.oo while a 3" loach will cost 8.00 and 4" loach can
cost 16.00! Of couse this all depends on where you live.
I saw a 4" loach on aquabid that someone wanted 50.00 for!
I thought that a little high but I could see a 6" going for that easily.

rohai

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
bristlenose

I don't know much about the other fish you listed but my experience with my bristlenose has been good. I have one 5 inch bristlenose that has kept my 45 gallon so free of algae that on average over the last 5 years I only have to the clean the front glass once every three to four months. I have heard that they are also one of the only plecos that will eat the hair-like algae, though I have never had a problem with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store