cleaner shimp molting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Well... I have had my cleaner shrimp about a month...

It took them about 3 weeks before their first molt and now they molted twice... about a week apart... and I have two cleaner shrimps and they both molt the same night...

are they growing at exactly the same pace?? or is there some biological trigger that starts the process....

also, is it typical for them to molt this fast? i mean i do feed heavily...

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i had a skunk cleaner once that molted back to back (within days) and then died. now i have a skunk cleaner in one tank and a fire shrimp in the other. the fire shrimp molts every 2 weeks and the skunk every 3. i also have land hermit crabs. with them (land hermies) they can delay molts until the time is right - i.e. not at the pet store, then will molt within days of being purchased - sometimes back to back. they also molt often at the same time. i don't know if any of that holds true to marine inverts but it kinda makes sense (at least the delay molting since they are vulnerable). oh and my shrimp are big but not crazy big despite molting so often. oh and if yours are tiny maybe they are just growing fast..? HTH

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It's most likely normal unless it's been injured in some way. Inverts do grow rather quickly to an adult size.
hth
max

atarax

Crazy Crab Man
Sep 20, 2007
My cleaner molts every other week or so. doesnt seem to grow much. may be a preventative measure to help prevent parasites as well as a growth thing.

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
I was terrified the first time my shrimp molted many yrs ago lol then researched and asked lotta questions, survey says feedings!!! lotta food molt more often hense growth spurts...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store