Cleaning algae off plastic equipment ... any special tricks?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finley

AC Members
Hi

I have a clear plastic thingy that's been in the tank for a long time, so every nook and cranny now has algae in it. I can almost get it off the flat surfaces, but those little nooks are a nightmare...

Have I got no hope, or does anyone have a special clever way of getting algae off equipment/out of nooks, so that my clear plastic thingy can be, well, clear again?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I usually use a fine bristled tube brush... tends to work well for me.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
bleach. Soak it in a 20:1 water:bleach solution for an hour or two, then just wipe it off. Rinse until the soapy feeling is gone and you can't smell the bleach anymore before returning it to the tank.

If its BBA, soak it overnight, then take a tooth brush to it. That stuff attaches like nobodies business.

snapshooterr

Algae Beater
Feb 9, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
www.aquariumphotography.info
Real Name
Chris
If the plastic bit can be removed from the aquarium, soak it in a bucket of diluted bleach (regular bleach with no detergents or other magic additives). I use about 1/2 cup of bleach for about 3-4 gallons of water (in a 5gallon bucket). Just let it soak for a bit and then rinse it well. And then rinse it well again. And then before you put it back in your tank, rinse it. Do you get the point about rinsing?
It works really well for hard to reach/remove algae. But, you gotta rinse it because adding any amount of bleach (chlorine) to your tank will have really, really bad consequences.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Bleach water .........:idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store