Cleanup Crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichl1d_b

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2009
Hello guys, I was just wondering what types of aquatic fish can i put in a tank full of mainly afrian and central american cichlids. I have a 36 Gallon tank with white marine sand. I wanted to ask you guys first because i know how crazy these cichlids can get.

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions!

cichl1d_b

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2009
woops i forgot to mention to asks what type of aquatic fish can i put in my tank to clean the sand and algae. i'm planning on getting some plecos, shrimps and snails, i just wanted to be sure they won't get eaten by the cichlids. I already have 2 crayfish, one electric blue and the other is a normal one.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Well- first, IMO dont put any plecos in with the africans. My africans ate the eyes out of my pleco, who was bigger than them, after a year of being in the tank without issue. I would think shrimp would end up just being an expencive dinner for them... and your have crayfish in there? I've heard they are quick at snipping fins.

What type species to you have, how many fishes all together? A 36 can get tightly stocked with cichlids that grow up! (but it is a good size for the right species!) How long have you had the tank? How long have you been keeping fish?

And welcome to AC!

cichl1d_b

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2009
i have a tropheus dubois dwarf, a venustus, electric yellow, and a convict. I've had this tank for about 2 months, i'm still new to the cichlid scene. I've had fish for probably 2 years now but i've only started raising cichlids for about 2 months now.

Last edited:

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Well I can tell you the Venestus will get too large for the tank. Their max length is 12 inches. I made the same mistake.... i bought one because they looked awesome and I had to give her up when she reached 8" because my 55 was just too small. Its hard to find homes for the big fishes, so I would get him a new home before he gets too large... you know? The other guys sound perfect. The electric yellows are a rewarding, colorful fish to keep. And a good starter cichlid. I dont know much about convicts other than they are really cool looking and prolific breeders. (if you have a male & female, expect fry.)

When it comes to cichlids you need to remember 2 things.

1: keep a 1:2 ratio!!! 1 male to every 2 females. (minimum) This will ensure that the males you keep stay as BEAUTIFUL as possible, and will elliminate inter-breeding. (though not completely, it will deter the event). It will also minimize aggression shown towards the females (boys trying to mate) and aggression between the males (less competition if there are more ladies).

2: If you choose to handle aggression with over stocking or over feeding, over filtration is a MUST. Weekly waterchanges and a good filter. ;)

Also, I forgot to mention, I have those little hitch-hiking snails in my tank... tons of the little guys and the cichlids have never ever been interested in them. They thrive without issue. ;)

Good luck- they are a great fish to keep!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Welcome to AC! :)

i have a tropheus dubois dwarf, a venustus, electric yellow, and a convict. I've had this tank for about 2 months, i'm still new to the cichlid scene. I've had fish for probably 2 years now but i've only started raising cichlids for about 2 months now.
I'm afraid you're going to have some issues in the future with your stock list. It is generally not advisable to keep African cichlids with Central Americans, as the dietary requirements, as well as preferences in water parameters, for these fish are often vastly different. When your fish hit sexual maturity, you're probably going to experience issues with aggression. Africans are generally best kept in 1:3 or more (M/F) ratios to keep aggression down. With convicts, you can't really do this; a pair will form and any remaining females will be killed. The remaining pair will breed prolifically and viciously defend a territory, and cause a lot of trouble in your tank. Crayfish are excellent hunters and will make a meal out of any fish they can catch... or else the cichlids will kill the crayfish as they molt. Crayfish IMO are best suited to a species tank.

IMO you shouldn't add anything to the tank, and I would consider re-doing your stock list with more compatible species. I'm not trying to come across as negative, just want your tank to be enjoyable for you. ;)

Well I can tell you the Venestus will get too large for the tank. Their max length is 12 inches. I made the same mistake.... i bought one because they looked awesome and I had to give her up when she reached 8" because my 55 was just too small. Its hard to find homes for the big fishes, so I would get him a new home before he gets too large... you know? The other guys sound perfect. The electric yellows are a rewarding, colorful fish to keep. And a good starter cichlid. I dont know much about convicts other than they are really cool looking and prolific breeders. (if you have a male & female, expect fry.)

When it comes to cichlids you need to remember 2 things.

1: keep a 1:2 ratio!!! 1 male to every 2 females. (minimum) This will ensure that the males you keep stay as BEAUTIFUL as possible, and will elliminate inter-breeding. (though not completely, it will deter the event). It will also minimize aggression shown towards the females (boys trying to mate) and aggression between the males (less competition if there are more ladies).

2: If you choose to handle aggression with over stocking or over feeding, over filtration is a MUST. Weekly waterchanges and a good filter. ;)

Also, I forgot to mention, I have those little hitch-hiking snails in my tank... tons of the little guys and the cichlids have never ever been interested in them. They thrive without issue. ;)

Good luck- they are a great fish to keep!
I agree about the venustus. It will grow much too large for the tank.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Tropheus generally do better in colonies and are very suceptible to bloat. They are strictly vegetarians. The venustus will get too big and the electric yellow would like some friends as well. You need to decide if you want to keep the african cichlids or the south american at this point. If you decide on africans I have found that Synodontis Petricola are a great addition. They won't eat algae though. I just clean the algae off the front glass during water changes and it still looks nice.

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
I have a pleco with my Africans. Two years going and he still has his eyes. For what that's worth. I also had two snails in that tank at one point and they lasted about a week.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I have a pleco with my Africans. Two years going and he still has his eyes. For what that's worth. I also had two snails in that tank at one point and they lasted about a week.
My pleco was in the tank with the same Africans for a just over a year before they ever attacked him. So it's really up to whether or not you want to risk it. Each fish is different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store