Clear Leaves, Dead Otto, holes in leaves and other maladies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I am having some plant issues right now....which were very surprising, and rather unfortunate because i was planning on doing a RAOK after todays water change and trim.

I came home from work to find several of my amazon sword leaves (on differing plants) to be turning clear and dying off. they are older leaves i do believe.

also, a few of my ludwigia repens stems have a few leaves with holes in the center with brown edges (new leaves)

I also have a dead Otto - everyone else is accounted for.

strange thing is that i started dosing EI the other week (NPK and CSM+B) (which i have to adjust slightly as i can tell from some of my parameters as posted below) so i didnt think i should have run into these issues right now.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 80
phosphhate 5-10
ph ~7.4

Tank: 30 Gal
Light: 65W CFL 6700K
wpg: 2.3ish

Plants:
Ludwigia Repens (a ton)
Amazon Swords (~6)
Rotala rotundifiolia (a lot)
Java fern (30 or so)
Dwarf sag (tons)
Marsilia minuta (a whole bunch)
Anubias nana (2)

Pictures will be available tonight/tomorrow morning depending on how much time i have the rest of the evening.....

TIA
-Chris

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
i changed out 56% of the water last night and still have rather high nitrates....say around 40ppm ish and i still have not dosed nitrate yet. i will be doing another water change tonight and/or not dosing nitrate for a few days.

But my main concern is what has caused the leaves on my swords to start to turn clear and see through? and the brown holes in a few of my leaves on my ludwigia?

(msj i havent been able to open that chart you linked to.....hopefully when i get to work it'll work)

-chris

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Have you tested the tap for 'trates?

I have no idea about the plants tbh, hopefully someone can answer that.
no i will have to test it for nitrates but there shouldnt be any considering our well water has not changed its parameters in like 40 years.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
As someone who has spent some time with an overstocked goldfish tank, I'd still suspect the nitrate levels in your case. My levels were typically in the 60-80ppm range, and I attribute some fish health problems to it. More recently I've been trying some live plants, and I'm sure the nitrate levels are causing problems there too. I introduced an Amazon Sword two days ago, and a couple of leaves have done exactly what you describe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store