Cloudy, Stinky, Cloudy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wknldavenport

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2006
Help Me! Help Me!

My tank has recently started stinking and become very cloudy! I have bought a new filter fit for my tank, chnaged the water, used water treatment, reduced my tank from 1 japan gold fish and three african black claw frogs to just one frog and the gold fish!

What do I need to do?

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and get back with us about it.

Also let us know how large the tank is and what type of filter you are using.

How often and how do you change the water? What and how much are you feeding the frog and fish?

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
How big is your tank? The goldifsh alone needs at LEAST 10 gallons and 10 times the GPH filtration. What are your prams?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Goldfish need 20-30 gallons of double filtered tank per fish, not 10. Add 15 gallons for each additional fish. The stink could be from the mass amount of waste that goldfish produce. That's why they need big tanks and lots of filteration.

If you changed out your old filter, did you use the same filter material? If not, then you are re-cycling your tank.

The cloud would be bacterial bloom.

Post the water parameters, as was requested, and we'll know for sure.

Roan

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
do another water change, shuffle the gravel, boost live bacteria or zymes by adding some into your tank or filter, use conditioner for the water, and give it few days. that's what i would do.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
BadRoma1 said:
do another water change, shuffle the gravel, boost live bacteria or zymes by adding some into your tank or filter, use conditioner for the water, and give it few days. that's what i would do.
"zymes"? What the heck are "zymes"? What is the basis for shuffling the gravel or using "conditioner"? What kind of conditioner are you referring to?

Roan

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
zyme is another word for beneficial bacteria, helps to keep tank cleaner. when you do water change you also shuffle the gravel to get more debrius out, which helps to keep tank cleaner. conditioner i'm talking about is any water conditioner, also helps with water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store