cloudy tank! needs to be fixed fast

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mowenfast

AC Members
Oct 6, 2005
Hello recently bought a 125 gallon tanks. The water has been crystal clear for about 5 days while cycling. However i did not have any substarte yet and i added it to the water after the tank was filled. The substarte is carribsea african mix. I have been using older filter pads on the whisper 60. to speed up the bacteria growth. I also have an undergravel filter with 2 powerheads and with 4 uptake tubes on the filter also. My log of test reads like this:

PH-8.0
ammonia-.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-5

I know the tank is still cycling. But since i added the substate later on is that doing any thing with the cloudy water becasue it was crystal clear until i added the substarte. So i know that is what is causing the cloudyness becasue it was instant cloud. **note**I washed the gravel well before adding it to the tank. I am in the process of doing a water change to remove some of the cloudness becasue on the power heads there was sandy stuff laying on top of it. any help will be great.

mowenfast

AC Members
Oct 6, 2005
it is gravel and it sits about 1.5 inchs to 2 about. I have a few gold fish in there also as a test to see if they will survive. One of them now tho looks like it has ick. ahhhhh this tank has been a pain from day one

kayla

weeeeee!
Jul 24, 2005
If your tank has a reading of .25 ammonia you shouldn't be putting anything in there, not even goldfish. Not until your ammonia is at 0 should you put anything in there. Are they feeder goldfish? If so, that is probably the reason they have ich. You really don't want to put them in your tank because there is a good chance they will bring parasites,ect. They are not very well taken care of. Google search "fishless cycling" or look into some bio-spira. Anyways, even though you cleaned the gravel, the water is going to get a bit murky, however, it should clear up soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store