Cloudy Water...Water Change or not?...also sick barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

29gallonsteve

Senior Planted Fishtank Lover
May 23, 2002
Wilmington, DE...Work in Philly
I have been experiencing a bacteria bloom over the last week or so. I have milky white water in the tank right now. All of my levels (ammo, nitrite, nitrate) are normal.

I did a very stupid thing. I fed my fish a cube of Tubifex and never removed the un-eaten food. After changing the filters, I am left with a cloudy tank.

Any suggestions in reducing the duration of this bloom?

HELP!!! One of my Barbs has a red sore on its side...I am assuming it is because of a weakness in the immune system coupled with the increased volume of bacteria...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
water changes would be good, and maybe treat the tank with something anti-bacterial. you sure the readings are "fine"? it sounds like you at least caused a mini cycle.......

i would do a big water change, maybe all the way to 50% if your tank water has been changed regularly and it won't be different enough to cause a shock. treat with melafix to begin with and if that doesnt help, maybe pennecillin (sp?).

good luck

might even be a good time to at least vacuum lightly too.....

edit: btw, personally i don't see one cube of tubifex being enuf to cause this, changing the filters on the other hand might have. watch the tank readings closely for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store