Cloudy water ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Did you test your ammonia? a common cause of persisting cloudy water is just a bacterial bloom caused by an ammonia spike. if so, it should fix itself

have you used any chemicals?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Did you test your ammonia? a common cause of persisting cloudy water is just a bacterial bloom caused by an ammonia spike. if so, it should fix itself

have you used any chemicals?
It could even be a bacteria bloom without an ammonia spike.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Cloudy water is typically one of two things. Most often it is a bacteria bloom of heterotrophic (decomposition) bacteria the result of excess dissolved organics in the water. This has nothing to do with, or is a pre-cursor, to the N2 cycle. This often happens in newer setups following water changes (sometimes fresh source water has a high degree of dissolved organics) or when over feeding or poor tank maintenance results in an excess of dissolved organics.

Second, is the result of insufficiently washed substrate of gravel and especially sand where fines (dust like particles) contaminate the water. Bacteria blooms usually dissipate after a few days. If it's a dirty substrate, water changes coupled with ultra fine filtration should resolve. In very bad cases, a tear down may be required.

sammcc

AC Members
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City Beach
Real Name
Sam
I'm sure it isn't the substrate. I thought it may be organic Debris so I got a gravel cleaner and last week got a lot of it out. Listen tell me how to get and keep my tank clean and clear so I can keep healthy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cloudy water can also occur if you experience an algae bloom..aka greenwater.
typically it is identified by placing some tank water in a white cup..the contrast will show greenish tint to algae bloom. ;)

sammcc

AC Members
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City Beach
Real Name
Sam
I'm super frustrated tested my water today and all my water parameters are great. No fish are dying. No over feeding doing regular water changes.
Yet water remains super cloudy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
There is a product by Seachem called Purigen. I know of people who used this in their filters (it is really tiny stuff, so you need a bag to put it in that is very fine mesh, finer almost than pantyhose, I think you can get some that work from Seachem) and then their water would be crystal clear. I only recommended this product when no harmful cause for the cloudiness could be found, but people who used it said it was wonderful, and it really cleared up their tank. I'm not really sure what the product is or why it works, but I know of customers who really really loved it. If your fish are all healthy, the water all test well, and the tank seems fine, you might try this.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store