Cloudy water ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Seachem Purigen is a synthetic resin that adsorbs dissolved organics. In the process it turns from white to brown. It is regenerated typically after a couple of months in a 50/50 solution of chlorine bleach and water (which burns off the organics), then treated with dechlorinator and reused several times. Purigen can assist in crystal clear water.

However, assuming good tank maintenance and proper feeding, cloudy water in a tank usually only lasts a few days and often occurs after water changes (when excess organic compounds can be introduced). I wouldn't over react and compensate for a problem that's short lived.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Still cloudy?? Any pics of cloudy??

dabradford

AC Members
Oct 25, 2012
Test for phosphates. I had a tank that looked like that for a while, and found out that my well water is a bit high in phosphates. Excellent for blooming algae. My water changes were feeding the algae. I stopped doing massive water changes and went to 20% every 2 weeks, and also cut way back on the time my tank lights were on. It cleared up in a week. If you do have Live plants, get 6500k bulbs and still cut back until it's gone.

sammcc

AC Members
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City Beach
Real Name
Sam
I cut feeding back from 2 times to 1 time a day. I completely washed out my filtration system. I also used spring water to do water change today and only did 3 gallons instead of 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Is the tank near a window? How long are you leaving the light on?

Being green... looks like an algae bloom not bacterial.

This happened to a tank of mine recently and I can't figure out why. Mine is not near a window but I may have been leaving the light on too long every day. I'm trying for a couple of days with the light and see if it clears up with water changes.

sammcc

AC Members
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City Beach
Real Name
Sam
No it's white not green cloudy I placed it in a white bowl to check. I just pt my light on a timer 12 hours a day.i think it's a product of my tap water. So I think I'll do another water change next week using spring water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store