clown fish breeding need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Thanks again phreeflow for the advice my clowns have bred again today. the food is all ready. the small tank is ready for them, but i known this is a stupid question. but i have a larger 15-20 gallon tank should i use that. i always thought it will be way to big and the fry wont be able to find the food i put in there. and that it would be harder to control. should i use the larger tank and what all should i put in there. i know you said use a hob filter but i dont really want to buy one when i have this triangle filter. should i just use more live rock?
thanks

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
No such thing as a stupid question. You'd be fine using a 15-20 gallon tank and it will work out better for you in the long run since you can raise out the fry to a decent size there.

You're absolutely right in thinking the fry would have a tough time finding food so what usually happens is that hobbyists will feed more to compensate and they end up fouling their water. The best way to feed these guys is by using a turkey baster and target feeding them...meaning, suck up some rotifiers with the baster and blow it right into the cloud of fry.

Here's the trick I did when breeding angels and discus, only fill your 15-20 gallon 1/3 or 1/4 with water and place the eggs/fry in there. This way, they'll have a much easier time finding the food. The fry will usually stick together in a small swarm and as as they grow out they will begin taking up more space in the tank. When they get big enough that you see fry in all four corners of your tank, they are running out of space and it's time to add some more water to the tank. This is what I used to call the"4 corner rule" and it was a quick indicator for me that the fry needed more space in their growout tank. Keep doing this until the 20 gallon is eventually full of water and fish and when they fill out all 4 corners again, it's time to split up the brood into larger growout tanks.

Again, you can use your sponge and live rock combo but there will not be enough circulation for the live rock to keep it healthy. Try adding an airstone strip and make sure there is enough water movement in the tank...just don't use too powerful of a pump and don't let the bubbles stick to the live rock.

HOpe it makes sense

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
yeah it makes sense. iam going to use the 20 gallon tank and just fill it about 1/4 or little less, and i going to keep the triangle filter and just add live rock this time. i will also do frequent water changes off about 45% every two days. this hopefully will get me some success.

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
i have lost another batch. i think i know what the problem is. could it be that the lights are off for too long. at the moment i have them on at 8am and off at 8pm. is this to long of a gap at night to leave them. because when i wake at in the morning there are always dead ones. and the live ones look weak. how long should the lights be kept on? any ideas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store