clown fish breeding need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
And also i have put the piece of live rock with the eggs on it in the seperate tank. but the anemone is attched to the piece of rock. will this cause a problem will the anemone kill the babies. its just for the night then i will move the rock back. ???
thanks

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
These guys will breed every 2-3 weeks so you have plenty of time to practice. Here are a couple of answers:

1) In order to cycle your new 10-15 gallon quickly, add water from your existing 60 gallon (as you already have), take some used filter material from your main tank and place it in filter for the new setup, and then take at least 5-10 pounds of live rock from your main tank and put it in your grow out tank. This will keep the water quality up and the rock/filter material will have all the biological organisms necessary for filtration.

2) If you cannot move the rock they laid on, then as people have mentioned, wait until they hatch and take a turkey baster and carefully siphon them out to your new tank. If you're worried about other fish eating eggs, leave the lights on 24hours a day to keep your clowns awake and active. They will protect their young. This is an old trick used when breeding discus.

3) Lastly, consider setting up a separate breeding tank...like a 20 gallon and move some of your live rock and anemone into that tank. They are extremely territorial of their anemones and are used to moving around to follow their host anemone. As long as their host anemone is present, there is a good chance they'll feel comfortable enough to begin breeding again in the new setup.

4) Live rotifers are best but as an emergency backup, you could use some liquid coral/invertebrate food mixes that are commonly available...they are rich in rotifers, phytoplankton, and zooplankton.

Good Luck!

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Thanks phreeflow for the advice. i now have many live rofiters ready for my new batch. i have a 7 gallon tank for the clownfish with has a heater and a triangle filter. which has cyramic noodles from my tank and a piece of filter cloth sitting on the top of the noodles. a air stone then passes the water through the cloth a noodles. is this enough or should more or something be added.
THanks

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
Not sure I can answer that for sure without looking at how you set it up...it depends on the size of the sponge filter and flow. The problem I see is that your sponge filter isn't aged/seeded with the proper bacteria and I'm not certain that placing some noodles on it will be enough. The point to adding the live rock and a used sponge is to jumpstart and bypass the whole nitrification process.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that setup. I would feel better if you put some of your live rock in that tank and place a HOB (hang on back) filter and fill that with some ceramic noodles and/or live rock fragments. I would then cut out a square piece of filter sponge, put a hole in it and slide that over the intake of your HOB filter so it doesn't suck your fry in. Make sure you get a low power HOB filter so it doesn't blow your fry all over the place and be sure to have the outflow water flow onto the live rock so it gets good circulation (for the aerobic bacteria).

If you're dead set on using a sponge filter, which is a better way to go for fry, keep running the sponge while also running the HOB and it will eventually have enough bacteria to support the tank. Once ready, you can eventually remove the HOB. . You can also run a sponge filter in your main system to properly age it also...but it'll take time. I'd recommend using an oversized sponge (for the tank) to be sure you have more than adequate filtration.

There are lots of ways to set this up but I prefer a system with as much live rock as possible for filtration...it is so rich with life that it's one of the most stable ways to support a mini saltwater ecosystem. It also has many microsopic organisms that the baby clowns can eat and pick on.

Be sure to do frequent, small water changes and add some carbon to help with the organics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store