Clown Loach Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CFGnJMH

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
I recently bought two clown loaches and almost instantly noticed some odd behavior. Both of them will hover with their heads facing the top of the tank, like they're sleeping. They do this frequently through out the day. I just want to make sure that they're okay, and not sick.

Thanks,

Frankie

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
dont be fooled

dont be fooled Clowns are tricky bugers, they lay on thier sides when resting. to see some odd picks of them, go to www.loaches.com they tell you all you need to know about these beautiful and amazing fish:)

CFGnJMH

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Well, thanks for the replies first off. I do have a cave and then lots of thick plants for them to hide in. I'm starting to think they may need a little more though. My main concern was their health. I just bought them about 3 weeks ago, and they've been doing this almost the entire time I've had them.

Thanks again,

Frankie

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Many a time have I gone to take a clown out of a tank only to have it swim away. Then of course a customer will point out that you have a dead fish in this tank. Not fooling for that one again. "He's not dead ma'am". And of course, he really IS dead this time, and you look like an inhumane jerk. This has happenend to me a few times actually. The loach wins, every time, even after they're dead.

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
Are they eating okay? What other tank mates do you have? My loaches do the same thing. They perch themselves on top of a large sword leaf or lodge themselves head down between the glass and a plant. I would pay attention to their behavour at feeding time. Mine do loops around the other fish at meal time in anticipation, otherwise they are hiding, perching, lying down, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store