Clown Loach Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KrazyKarl

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
I have 4 clown loaches in a 29 gallon with syno. multi. and 3 altum angels. I noticed today that the loaches have caught ich, the others are not affected...yet. What should I do? Ph is 6.8 everything else fine. Have ich medicine. Need advice.

Sponge Bob

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
What kind of medecine you have ? QuICK Cure ?

I would go with a good cleaning of gravel BEFORE starting the medecine. Furthermore, remove any active coal filter media from your filter. Then go with half dosage for 5 days, everyday. Remember DO NOT turn on the light of your tank during the treatment. Also, raise temp. to 86°F and if you have any means of improving the oxygenation of your water, do it as higher temp. reduces the amount of O2 disolved in water.

The above applies if your medecine contains Malachite Green and Formalin.

Good luck !

SB

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
Also, if you have a diatom filter, use it. When the Ick parasites become freeswimming, the Diatom filter can remove them.

mayreee

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
I would not bother with the meds. They can hurt your loaches. I would add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon and raise the temp to 86. I wont stress the fish out as much.

Last edited:

KrazyKarl

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
Does it have to be some sort of special salt? I think ive heard this before, it was non iodized salt or something like it. Should I leave the carbon in?

Paccula

AC Members
Dec 14, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Does QuICK cure ever expire? I have some, but it is very old. Should I buy a new bottle before treating any fish that may need it? currently I have Black Skirt Tetras, and the bottle says to use a half dose for tetras.. but I am worried this may not kill the ick very effectively, or lead to a mutent strain. Are there any other medications that tetras can stand a full dosage?
also, why shouldn't the light be turned on while medicating? Does this apply to Flouresent lamps?
and what is a diatom filter?

I am so full of questions today ^^

nickbuter

nickbuter
Oct 27, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
If I'm not mistaken clown loaches are a scaleless fish, and they don't recommend using salt methods in a tank with scaleless fish. I've never kept clowns or tried using salt, just what I've heard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store