Clown Loach school with Cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
I did a bit of a tank reorganization yesterday and as part of it, I broke down and purchased a clown loach. Yes, I know that they can get quite large, but I think that I can move him to the larger tanks as he grows (see signature).

For now, I am wondering if the clown loach (only about 1.25") will get along with the 3 cories in the 10 gallon. I have read a couple of places that they might school together. I am not really wanting more loaches, but I also don't want the little (eventually big) fella to be depressed. Advice?

Also, going through a mini-cycle in the 10 gallon, as I had to break it down yesterday and give it a thorough cleaning. I kept the plants and a decoration in old tank water during the cleaning, so I "reseeded" the bacteria. Still, getting a bloom. Yeah, I know, not a great situation, but the tank had gotten in bad shape (my fault).

Thanks!

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I wouldn't put a clown loach in a 10g tank - at all. They will spurt growth to about 4" before growth slows w.a.y down -- 75g is really the minimum for them. When they are kept in smaller aquariums, among other issues it stunts them and they get a hunchback.

The clown will get along with cories, but they really prefer their own company and 5-6 minimum is suggested for a school size. They are also really sensitive to water conditions, and should only be introduced to a fully cycled well established tank.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
did you replace the filter cartridge or just rinse out the old one in conditioned water? the filter media is the most important thing to keep seeded, not the decor

and be careful, Loaches don't handle ich very well

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
I rinsed the media in tank water, but it was exposed to the air for about an hour and a half. I know about the ich problem with loaches and will be keeping a close eye out for signs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store