Clown loach shyness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetra lover

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
I added 3 clown loaches to my 100 gallon tank 3 days ago and whenever I approach the tank, I see them all quickly trying to hide. How long will it take for them to feel more at home and not be so scared of me?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. The loaches are about 2".

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I have two clowns in a 30 that's heavily populated with cories and rummies and I probably still only see them once a week. If you sit still long enough, then they come out, although I've talked to alot of people that have some very personable ones. Either way, it'll take awhile longer for them to open up to you if they do. It's to bad too, they're fun to watch.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Mine took at least a week before they seemed comfortable. I still don't see them as much as most of their companions, but they will come out if there's not too much commotion.

Jim

redrf900

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
It'll be a few weeks before they start to "warm up to you". They are VERY smart and once they figure out that you are the "handy foody feedy guy" they will come out and watch for you when you approach the tank....They are BY FAR MY FAVORITES!!! I only have 2, whitey and bobo, and they are VERY cool...The other fish (barbs and gouramis are "just fish" the loaches actually have personalities... Make sure they have adequate hiding spots from other fish...the barbs lkike to give the loaches a hard time between feedings...They also don't like to be out in the open , in general....Mine LOVE to bubble surf!!! they will ride the bubbles on the bubble wall for hours...I gues they need the excercise ;-)
use sinking food fro them or they won't get enough to eat...I switch between shrimp pellets and these green tabs that sink....They also click when they get angry over food...I thought it was just them nbanging the gracel against the glass, but it's not....ENJOY !!!!! Jimmy G

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I agree with whats been said. The only thing that I would add is that if the clowns have a really good hiding spot (like one that you cant even seen into), they may only come out late at night. I used to have a pair that I assumed had died because I did not see them for several months. One day I pulled out my large castle for cleaning. I didn't even realize that they were in there until after about 5 minutes they fell from the inside of it. They were fine though.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store