clown loach size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

surf city baby

fish mom
Apr 28, 2003
Charles County, Maryland
Visit site
I got two clown loaches for my 12-gal aq. before I knew they'd grow . . . and grow, and grow, and grow.

1. How can I know when they've grown too big for the aq?

2. Then what can I do with them? Getting a bigger aq. won't be an option soon. Does anyone know of a fish community in So. Maryland where I can find someone to give them to? Any other suggestions?

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
They'll grow to a good foot, but it will be very slowly, like, over the course of years. Once they reach about 4" or so, I would sell them back to the fish store.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Yes. Obviously you wont know when the clown loaches have grown to large - unless you notice when they stop growing. It's like putting a baby in a metal box. If you provide the baby with everything they need to survive, and this metal box is just big enough for them when they are born, they will live but will obviously outgrow the box...except this isn't an option because the baby is not moving that box anywhere...so the baby will get all pent up and, it can be assumed, will die. The same will happen to the Clown loaches, eventually. The will stop growing before they fill the tank. Meaning, say the tank is 12 inches long, (just for math's sake,) the Loaches may stop growing around 5 inches.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
More than 95% of the clown loaches in captivity are stunted, by my own conservative guesstimate.

But fortunately or unfotrunately, some degree of stunting does not seem to kill them. I've still known some severely stunted clowns to make to their late 20s - these seem to be longest lived tropical I know of - wonder how long the big guys would live?

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
In the Wild, Clowns can get over a foot big. But in the home aquarium. they dont usually grow over 8 inches. Id say your clowns will need a 55gallon tank or bigger, once they get a bit older. clowns have been known to live more than 15 years. I have 2 3 inch clowns in a 20gallon tank. I will soon be moving them to a 55g tank. hopefully :)

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Originally posted by Clownloach458
In the Wild, Clowns can get over a foot big. But in the home aquarium. they dont usually grow over 8 inches.
Originally posted by RTR
More than 95% of the clown loaches in captivity are stunted, by my own conservative guesstimate.
They seem like nice fish, but they're big fish (or at least they should be). I see enough that I know they're not all going into tanks that are sufficient for them. And I know there are plenty of mighty interesting small loaches out there that are better suited to the typical tank.

I'd get them to mogurnda befrore too long and downshift to something smaller (actually I'd use it as an excuse to get the bigger tank I want :rolleyes: , but you seem less inclined to go that route :confused: ).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store