clown loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I would like to get a clown loach for my tank. I only have a 55 gallon right now. How long would one be happy in a tank that size? The only tankmates I have right now are 10 tiger barbs. Thanks.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
If it were me, I would get at least three for them to be happy...clown loaches are relatively slow growing and would be ok for quite a while in a 55g..make sure you choose nice active, chubby loaches and look out for ich...when I introduce new loaches, I use Aquarisol at half strength for about a week to ten days...been lucky with no outbreaks at all using this method (knock on wood!) Enjoy...great fish!

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
What size tank would they need when they out grow this one? How long do you think it would take for them to out grow the 55?

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
They will get to be about a Foot, but they will also be like 10yrs old, their growth will depend on how much you feed, what type of food(high protein), how often you change water, so I would say that they might grow 1" a year with out power feeding and power water changes. I have 5 or 6 or is it 7 in my 55 can't always locate them all at the same time. :D I'm getting a 90 gallon sunday and they will go in that. The 90 is 18" wide so they would be ok, but I do plan on a 225 8foot by 30" wide. Bigger is always better

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
A foot? My LFS has a 15-20 year old clown loach that is about 6-8 inches long. I think a foot is an over statement

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
TorturedSOUL said:
A foot? My LFS has a 15-20 year old clown loach that is about 6-8 inches long. I think a foot is an over statement
I don't think its an understatement its that people rarely house these fish in large enough tanks and don't usually keep them for 20 years. The small tanks will stunt the growth of any fish so if you start with a CL in a 10 and wait till it out grows the tank then its too late.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
TorturedSOUL said:
N8DOGG is right. When kept in less than optimal conditions (poor water quality, inadequate space, poor nutrition, etc...) clowns will not reach their potential.

Clowns actually grow to 18" in the wild, but only 2" or shorter sized specimens are allowed to be exported.

So either your LFS has been keeping the loach under poor conditions, or whoever took the loach to your LFS, kept it under poor conditions. If the loach is by itself, it's probably stressed out to the point of stunted growth. Clowns need friends. They are one of the few fish that honestly need "friends".

HTH,
Serg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store