Clown Loaches: HELP!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brewster

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2005
reno
OK I am going to stick my foot in it here by going against the norm, but have have had quite a bit of experience with Clown Loaches. I have lost them using DIY CO2 in my 340 gallon planted tank. You can lose them in a 125 Gallon tank with DIY CO2.

In your case however I am not sure why you believe they are at risk, other than that one died, which happens sometimes. If it is just because they are hiding, well, that happens sometimes also.

I do believe that you are cleaning your filters too often. That could really mess with your biological filter. The things I'd check are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in that order (which may be obvious). If anything is out of line there I would do a 30% water change right away and daily till the parameters come back in. Other wise I would go with 25% weekly water changes.

While I agree that the way you are doing CO2 is probably not a concern, you can't rule it out. If you have any fish gasping at the top of tank, pull your CO2 and do some more research. I keep my water around 81 degrees. If you are concerned about them hiding, get some dither fish. Good luck, and if you find that they do survive get a couple more. I presently have 6 in my 340 along with a couple zebra loaches to keep them motivated. They are the showmen of my tank.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I agree with Rb 100% - ditch the ro/softener water. But first have your bypass water properly tested and find out why you have a whole house RO and softener before using the water in the tank.

Typical home water softeners soften water using a technique known as ``ion exchange''. That is, they remove calcium and magnesium ions by replacing them with sodium ions. Although this does technically make water softer, most fish won't notice the difference. That is, fish that prefer soft water don't like sodium either, and for them such water softeners don't help at all. Thus, home water softeners are not an appropriate way to soften water for aquarium use.
I have kept my clowns since 2002. I now have 3 filters on their tank including a canister. They get close to 50% water changes every week. I clean my hoses ever year or two. I clean my canister about every 5-6 months. The other two filters have the media cleaned weekly and all 3 pre-filters are rinsed as well. I almost never clean the filters themselves but do clean the motor/impeller parts as needed.

I also have well water and do not need to dechlorinate my water.

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
I am suspecting the issue is with acclimation. Clowns can be succeptible to transfer shock, usually an osmotic pressure issue. You need to take some significant time acclimating them by slowly adding your tank water to the water they came in until you've diluted out the original water at least 5:1 or more. Just my $0.02 worth.... take it or leave it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store