clown loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
when i had blue acaras with 4 clowns in my 20g they were fine they just hid all day in this rock.

you should ask this in cichlid forum you would get a lot more responses there than here.

redrf900

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
I can tell that clowns do NOT like having any tankmates larger than them. They are peaceful fish and don't like to have to fight with anyone else. They will throw their weight around if they have to, but usuallly, would rather not have to deal with any agressive tankmates. Jimmy G

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
clown grow really slow, but then they grwo up they can be like 8-10", ive never seen them over like 8" but when they are that big they are kinda of aggressive. ive seen them chase other smaller fish away like some small neon tetras and cardinals too. this was in an LFS 250g tank with like 10 clown freom 3" up to 8" and with neons, cardinals, some bosemian (sp?) rainbows and gouramis.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
what kind of cichlids are we talkign about? Some cichlids like dwarfs, angels and more peaceful species do fine together. But i wouldn't recommend clowns for any large CA/SA cichlids or africans. Although i have seen it work in certain situations with more aggresive cichlids usually pick on the clowns.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Yes i know but by the looks of it his loaches are quite big. Every situation is different, his cichlids might not attack them but taht does'nt mean if you try it your won't.

I would say wait untill you can tell the disposition of you JD, is it mean, "nice" relatively peaceful. Each fis is different. But jsut because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you.

If you decide to try it(i wouldn't risk it as there are other bottom fish that would do better) make sure you get the biggest possible clown you can find. None of the small 1-2" clowns you always see for sale as they will be more likely picked on.

Make sure you have tons of hiding places that the JD can't get into. If theclowns are scared you will never see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store